Wood Axle Species Specific Properties

I think this is the place for this…

Somewhere I read a list of descriptions of the play properties of wood axles for various species of wood. I’m almost positive that it was Colin from TMBR, but I can’t seem find it again for the life of me. I even emailed
Colin, but haven’t heard back.

If anybody remembers this, I’d really appreciate being pointed to it.

I was trying to find the same thing a couple months back! Let me know if you find it! :stuck_out_tongue:

WALNUT is tough, slightly open grain wood. It is typically very smooth and long spinning, with very little tendency to burn out. Walnut is the stock axle material (for the most part).

OAK is very tough, with an open grain texture. It is long spinning, and the open grain gives a level of feedback on the string.

CHERRY is medium hardness, with a fine close grain. It spins smooth with a bit more response.

BIRCH is medium soft with a very close grain. It tends to be the most responsive species. It spins super smooth, but is subject to burn out over time.

That’s the description we got from TMBR when we first started stocking the replacement axles. We don’t have any info on the exotic wood axles though.

1 Like

It was right here?!?!

Duh… I thought I had looked.

Thanks!

Now, maybe you can twist Colin’s arm, or whoever wrote that, to add the other species?