Your favorite science topics!

Quantum:
“The double-slit experiment has become a classic thought experiment, for its clarity in expressing the central puzzles of quantum mechanics. Because it demonstrates the fundamental limitation of the ability of the observer to predict experimental results, Richard Feynman called it ‘a phenomenon which is impossible to explain in any classical way, and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality, it contains the only mystery of quantum mechanics’. Feynman was fond of saying that all of quantum mechanics can be gleaned from carefully thinking through the implications of this single experiment.”

Quantum mechanics is really cool too!

I actually watched a Feynman lecture on this a while back. One thing that I really liked about listening to him in any video I’ve seen is simply how he seems excited to talk about how our world around us works. That excitement makes it more interesting to watch, at least it does to me.

I love organic chemistry.

I have my bachelors in Exercise Physiology!

My right leg is covered in molecule tattoos.

I am a nerd.

That’s great :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: currently enrolled in an organic chemistry 2 course at college :slight_smile: it is pretty cool! Not my favorite but pretty cool nonetheless :slight_smile:

Its hard for sure. Ive forgot more than I remember, but I work in a health industry so it apllies still hehe

Chemical reactions/stoichiometry (probably spelled that wrong)

Stoichiometry is pretty hard to spell :stuck_out_tongue: back when I was in a gen. Chem. class and the teacher used the word I just stared at him like what the heck are you talking about. Maybe I zoned out when he explained it but I had to look it up after class that day to figure out what was going on. :stuck_out_tongue:

I recently found StarTalk Radio podcasts and have been listening to them whenever I have time! So many things I have never learned about before so it’s been pretty interesting! Black holes and the possibility of a multiverse has been pretty interesting lately :slight_smile:

P.S. I ended up talking about Parkinson’s disease (PD) for my paper. After starting that paper I also ended up writing about the correlation of lipid raft’s composition to PD for another class.

Astrophysics and particularly black holes hold my interest.

Do you know of any particularly good websites, YouTube channels, so on to learn about astrophysics?

I listen to star talk when making string! NDT has made a lot of accessible astrophysics talks available to everyone.

Lol! That’s great! :joy: I have to catch up on star talk a bit but might start reading some of Neil’s books if I find time.

Edit: When you said NDT, I had no idea what that was so I looked it up. When I saw it was non-destructive testing, confusion hit me across the head like a mad man with a 2X4. Took me a couple minutes to realize you were talking about Neil :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The study of vibration on matter. Also known as Cymatics. Fascinating and real.

I saw a video of Richard Feynman talking about molecules vibrating. He seemed so excited. When people love what they do, it is amazing getting to listen to them. I may have to look cymatics up sometime :slight_smile:

Astrophysics & Marine Biology specifically shark biology.

What is one thing about sharks that you think is really interesting or mind boggling? :slight_smile:

Just watched a show about Megalodon (prehistoric shark) as big as a Greyhound Bus!

The Mandela Effect is also a fun thing to explore.

Most notably Bernstein/Berstain Bears phenomenon.

So many things. Not sure I could bring it down to just one. Been reading/studying sharks since I was a kid. They’re highly misunderstood, and so vital to the world.

Here is something…Sharks and Cancer. For years it was thought that Sharks couldn’t, or didn’t, get cancer. Researchers are now finding that they can get cancer, but that their immune system is so great that for the most part they can always fight it off! There are some instances that they’ve found sharks with tumors still, but it’s not 100% known how long they’ve had them, or if they were in the process of destroying them. So much about their immune system is thought to possibly help in the fight against numerous “deadly” diseases now.

Another thing that fascinates me, is just how little we actually know about the ocean. Man knows more about space than we do about the oceans on the planet we live on :o

That is really cool!