Bearings. Shielded/Unshielded

My feeling is that, if the shield produces no friction, then I’d keep it. So, I suppose the real question is… does the shield produce friction? I would think not, but I don’t know for sure…

I’ve also thought that yes, the yoyo itself acts as a shield. What’s really going to get in there, but is it enough of a shield to retain think lube. My gut tells me the difference is negligible, but the “techy gear head” in me always desires maximum performance. Lol

You can assume that a properly fitted shield does not produce friction. The main reason people remove shields is for ease in cleaning and lubing the bearing. If you don’t take them off permanently, you have to make the effort to remove and replace them each time you clean/lube the bearing.

And yes, Virginia, the yoyo effectively acts as a shield.

Q.E.D.

[quote=“jhb8426,post:18,topic:82761”]
Just not as effective a shield as the shield itself, or at least not as effective as the shield and the yoyo combined in my experience.

the distance required not to make friction between the outer ring of the bearing and the seat on the shell allow the entry of many things (dust, fluff of the string, etc.) therefore no, the yoyo doesn’t work as a shield.

The oracle hath spoken…

In that space there also passes a donkey like you… think the dust!

Naw, there is no way your throws get more dirty than mine, and mine get no debris in them from outside the yoyo. Sorry but it acts as a shield and a better one since it lets things out that do manage to get in there.

1 Like

For sure! if You say so … We can trust! hahahaha
Have done a detailed study to support your theory … I’m very curious to read it.
As for Me, much more simply, to understand that the shells of the yoyo can not function as shields, I just look at the dirt in small glass jar in which I clean my bearings.
I’ll I said before … go on your way and don’t change course!

Knowing Schnayke, I trust his analysis.

p.s. I leave my bearings shielded, and I still have dirt in the cleaning solution…

Well I run without shield only have to clean them maybe once every couple years. When I do nearly always it is a piece of silicone, or pad glue, near too no dirt, unless I have my shields on, then there is dirt and string fibers every time. Too be totally clear I leave my shields on till the first time I have to remove them, then I don’t put them back on. I have been yoyoing since 1987. I have been throwing bearingized throws since the late 90’s. I ran a yoyo club for 10ish years. I would say I have a fairly good grasp on what is and isn’t needed. That coupled with the countless hours I have spent talking about and researching bearing cleaning/maintenance including in my job, and long meetings with bearing manufacturers. To be clear it is where I got/get my info about why and how different kind of shields are used. :wink: However, the short answer is no, detailed study, as it would be pointless as I have perfect running system that requires near too no maintenance.

2 Likes

Not that you need my confirmation but that is my experience with shields as well, I throw them away if I have to clean a bearing.
The thing I have wondered is if the bearing seat makes a difference because I have some yo-yos that are very problematic and others I have never had to mess with, all used in the same environment .

i take em off and leave em off. Literally thrown handfuls of shields and c-lips in the trash.

I leave mine on. Not really because I have a preference but simply because I always have had a difficult time getting them off. Not sure why but I do.

I take them off when I want less center weight! ;D

maybe we do not understand.
the previous post we talked of the fact that the shells of the yoyo could work from schudi for bearings mounted in them, and I said no, enclosing a photo for explain better.
You, as well as repeat the tirade of your great experience (it’s the second or third time that you repeat it), say it is not as I say but when you clean your bearings are both residues of the return system that strands of string, then?
Then the shells do not shield the bearing that has not the mounted shields. that’s all.

This is fairly standard daily life for my throws, that is rocksalt and what was snow/ice.

You have a wonderful yoyo, you should treat it better.
What number are you? I have the # 26

Another thing that I forgot to say, for years, I dry lubricate my bearings with graphite powder, to be able to do well the shields are needed.

I treat it great, probably be playing with it long after the rest of them are on case duty. It is 003.

For some reason I’ve never thought of using rock salt to deice my throws. Thanks for the great tip!

I don’t know why I never thought of that, as for years I’ve used rock salt and ice to cool the yoyo to make ice cream in the bowl.