CLYW Peak 2 Review- Will it live up to its predecessor's legacy

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/470/31464180980_91d9e4febd.jpgUntitled by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr
December 8th marked the 10th anniversary of the launch of the much hyped and sought after Peak, also marking the launch of what is now one of the largest and most influential yoyo companies in the community, CLYW, or also known as Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works. To just explain some of the history, CLYW was a company started by Chris Mikulin and Paul Wallace. Their favorite yoyos were the Yoyofactory Fast 401k and the Yoyojam Hitman, and their goal was to create a yoyo that had a bit of both in it. The result of that was the CLYW Peak. The Peak proved to be a very well selling yoyo, and has gone through a total of 3 runs, each a little different from their predecessor, and has left a very long, lasting legacy on the community. Being the 10th anniversary, fans of CLYW wanted something special, and were ecstatic when it was announced there would be a Peak 2. Chris was very rushed with this project, with the right design only coming to him earlier this month. The Peak 2 was machined and anodized and sold only 3 weeks after. With the hype and expectations surrounding this yoyo due to it’s predecessor’s fame, will the Peak 2 be worthy of being a homage to the Peak? Also, if you wish to read more on the history of the Peak and the early years of CLYW, the thread can be found here. (RIP Ben :(, maybe you’re playing with a Peak 2 somewhere out there.)

Comparison With A 2nd Run Peak

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/468/31799284336_e6254b6185.jpgPeaks by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr
https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5554/31464070500_3707f080fe.jpgPeaks by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr

Peak (2nd Run) (Nabbed from Highspeedyoyo)
Diameter: 54.60mm
Width: 42.50mm
Gap: 4.17mm
Weight: 67.30 grams
Bearing: C-Size
Response: Flowable Silicone
Axle: 8-32" by 3/4"

Peak 2 (Measured)
Diameter: 54.60mm
Width: 42.70mm
Gap: 4.30 mm
Weight: 64.50 grams
Bearing: C size
Response: Snow Tires
Axle: M4x0.7mm by 10mm

I will just be explaining the construction differences between the two in this section. In the next section, I will be talking about how the Peak 2 plays. In terms of construction, there are a few very obvious differences that can be seen just by looking at them side by side. The first difference is now there is a step near the response area on the Peak 2. This step is the most modern addition to the yoyo, it allows for the yoyo to keep it’s organic shape, but removes the high wall the Peak has. The major advantage to this is now the yoyo is less prone to changing planes during usage, and because there is less area for the string to rub against, the Peak 2 is less likely to lose spin during tricks which require multiple layers of string. The 2nd difference is the Peak 2 no longer has a thumb grind lip, which I am slightly salty about. (Put it back!) In all seriousness, I trust that Chris knows what he is doing and that there is a reason to remove the lip. The third difference is the size of the “donut” in the cup. I’m not sure if there is any reason for this besides for aesthetics. Other differences include the axle size and the weight. The axle size is now shorter and uses a metric size instead of US sizing. The Peak 2 is actually produced in China by a very reputable machinist, and because only the US uses inches for thread size, the Peak 2 now uses a metric sized axle. The weight is now lighter at 64.5 grams. I’m not sure if I can classify this as a difference, as I was told the Peak 2 was based on the original first run 28s Peak, which had a lighter weight.

Performance

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/284/31464070340_8e186fe47b.jpgPeaks by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr
On the first few throws of the Peak 2, I was a little taken back by how light it felt. The Peak 2 moves with very little effort through tricks, and doesn’t have as much of a presence on the string as the second run Peak did. I find this to be a nice change, and it is very enjoyable to have a yoyo that takes so little effort to move. It almost feels like the yoyo is guiding you through the tricks, not the other way around. If I had to compare the Peak 2 to another yoyo other than the Peak, it would be the CLYW Canvas. People have often considered the CLYW Canvas to be the successor of the Peak after all. Like in the Canvas, the extra step in the profile improves the performance indescribably. Where the Peak died fairly quickly on faster or longer combos. the Peak 2 is able to handle all of them with ease. Multiple layers are no problem either, and there is not nearly as much tilting as the predecessor, and can even handle horizontal combos. In short, the Peak 2 is much more modern than the Peak. The finish on the Peak 2 is also extremely soft and grinds amazingly, much softer than the old CLYW blast. While the Peak was never intended to be a yoyo used in competitions, I feel the Peak 2 can easily be used on stage, while still being a very fun and relaxing yoyo.

Response and Bearing

https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/487/31720545101_8c8b706f6e.jpgPeaks by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr
The Peak 2 uses the same sized bearing as the predecessor, but is a much higher quality one. I personally love CLYW’s pixel bearings. They are very smooth, long lasting and (important to some) very quiet. The pixel bearing is a very nice addition to the Peak 2. The response used now is CLYW’s signature snow tires, which are meant to mimic the feel of silicone. The response pads sit slightly below the outer wall, preventing snagging and ensuring a very smooth playing experience. The yoyo has absolutely no vibe at all, a very nice change from the older Peaks.

Final Thoughts

https://c4.staticflickr.com/1/643/31027205283_dbbdecafd8.jpgPeaks by wcyoyospirit, on Flickr
The release of the Peak 2 saw many positive notes, but also some negative ones. Complaints were the Peak 2 plays fairly subpar, not enough was packed into the first release, made in China, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if you allow them to cloud your vision, you will be missing out on a great yoyo. In the past few years, I had thought CLYW had moved completely away from making fun, relaxing throws and was just focused on making competition worth yoyos. I am glad to say they are still able to make a yoyo that is more suited for the casual thrower. The Peak 2 in every essence, is a Peak’s successor. The feeling is there, and the nostalgia is there. The Peak 2 captures every part of the Peak that was loved, and adds to it a modern twist, making the Peak 2 better in every way. So the answer is yes, I believe the Peak 2 does live up to the Peak’s legacy. Chris could have just reproduced the original Peak, and it would have sold in minutes, but I am glad he decided to take a new route and redesign the Peak entirely for the anniversary run. So goodies or not, I am very much enjoying this yoyo. And if you’re sad that you missed out on the first run, the next runs are going to be even better! I heard the legendary Levi might be playing a part :wink:

7 Likes

Thanks for the good read

After one full day of playing with the new peak I like it. The 64 to 65 gram weight is the range I have always preferred. The removal of the thumb grind area is not an issue for me because one, thumb grinds have not been popular for awhile, and two the new peak still can thumb grind very well. It just needs to be thrown at a slight angle. Here are my complaints. And please keep in mind that these are subjective and won’t apply to everyone. My peak 2 came right out of the box not screwed together well. It was to the point that if it was not for the tight bearing seats and if I would have thrown it, it would have flown apart. But I caught it and that did not happen. Next the axle was stuck with the hex side down. Agian no big deal, two nuts screwed on the axle and it turned out. So here was the big issue. It was tight. After inspecting the axle I noticed some rough places on the axle threads. Luckily with a little Christmas magic I did not ruin the yoyo threads removing the axle. So all of this was before I even had a chance to put a string on and play with it. Anyway all and all the peak 2 is fun and very nostalgic.

1 Like

I believe that the hurry of this release you can see from these situations … I do not think yours is an isolated incident, though fortunately there was no damage to your yo-yo … enjoy!

I have a few questions for you. Not presenting an argument. Because I cant ‘prove’ that you are incorrect.

But at the same time; your assessment of the situation inspires my curiousity.

First of all; ‘who’ said there was a ‘hurry’ to release the New Peak?

Secondly; because ‘you’ do not ‘think’ the posters’ yoyo situation was an ‘isolated incident’; how does your ‘thinking’ convert into anything more than ‘just thinking’?

Your post seems to indicate that you have an inside source of information that others are not aware of.

… I never heard any mention of any rush to release the new Peak.

… And I have seen or heard nothing about somebody/anybody also getting a New Peak that had any issues that should have been detected by Quality Control?

1 Like

Yoyodoc, Chris n Steve have said how the peak 2 was designed and manufactured in like a couple weeks straight up. It was definitely rushed to get it out in time for 10th year anniversary.

1 Like

Quite simply, produce the commemorative edition of the Peak it was a concrete idea but that somehow or for commercial reasons (related to the presentation of several new models at this time) does not convinced at all Chris. The voice, however, could be produced had spread and many users have made requests, so he Chris reconsidered his decision and the design and implementation has been certainly faster than usual (two weeks, as just mentioned by another User).
What are my sources, with all due respect, I keep them for me. It happened several times to preview images and characteristics of the state models of prototypes and I always had the sensibility not to talk about it until after their release into production or presentation.
That’s all.

P.S. As to quality control, I ask you who seem to know much more than me, the inspection staff where they were when it was assembled and shipped at Store the yoyo of Omegaweapon56?
and you know for a fact that they had only an oversight on this specific yoyo, right?
Thanks for the clarification.

P.S…2 I find rather curious, but especially tiring, your interest to “weigh always my every word.”
Evidently you don’t have to do much better.

P.S…2 I find rather curious, but especially tiring, your interest to “weigh always my every word.”
Evidently you don’t have to do much better.
[/quote]
You like to talk but say very little.

Stay tired.

You should be thrilled that I don’t weigh in on your every word.

Happy new year

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was you that started weighing words first.

1 Like

I have said all there was to say, in the public domain information that evidently escaped only to you.
You rather you did not answer my questions, but that’s okay, go on your way, trying not to meet more mine, because apparently there is no convenience for you.
Thanks for the good wishes, are always very welcome by friendly people, even more from hostile person.

I seriously hope that your (omega)brain is not your most formidable weapon.

…let me give you and your uncle per-boy some useful info.

First you have to understand the questions before you can give any useful response.

…My post started out very clearly that I was not presenting an argument. That I had no information that Persson was incorrect. That his statements just raised my curiosity level.

I asked if he could support his statements(not a quote). Since I seldom frequent other social media sites; it is very possible for me to not know a whole lot of current yoyo related ‘things’.

Persson started out his response in a very nice and informative way. Telling me stuff I was not aware of(thanks).

And then as is characteristic of Persson; he is just compelled to start bending around my intentions and suggesting I am just out to get him… because😳

… and then you just have to come in guessing(incorrectly) that I am the one that started ‘weighing words’. ?

If neither one of you guys wants to grasp the wording in my original response; how can you provide meaningful substance in your responses?

…

1 Like

I came to the Peak 2 thread hoping for more discussion about this cool yoyo. Instead I see excessive pedantry and it is really exasperating. What is the problem, really?

yoyodoc:

The Peak 2 release was pushed really fast, CLYW Chris expressed as much himself on their ask.fm (and elsewhere maybe, I forget…)

So…

That one Peak 2 user had some little issues with their Peak 2 out of the box makes sense when you consider a rush to bring it to market. That is the concern that persson was expressing. Really, no big deal, and I can’t blame him for doing so.

However… the Peak 2 is pretty freaking great and Chris killed it on the design and CLYW brought it out so quickly that it was a shock that it all went so well. Hats off to them!

Go play a Peak and make the world a better place and be more gracious to each other.

Cheers

2 Likes

… I guess I’m not the only one who doesn’t pay attention to everything yoyo related 24 hours a day :flushed:

Perhaps you missed my post about the Peak from 3 weeks ago?

I simply was not aware of the Peak Rushed release.  And I am still waiting for anybody to tell me who else got a ’ not quite finished Peak’ as the result of this mad dash to release the Peak?

Why would Persson state that the unscrewed yoyo was probably not an isolated incident?

Instead of constantly talking trash; why doesn’t he provide links to others that have ‘also’ had problems with their new Peak 2’s directly resulting from the Push to release the yoyos?

I don’t know of any and that is why I asked.

I Very Clearly stated that I did not say Persson was incorrect. I said my curiousity was raised because I had not heard of any other New Peak problems.

You guys take turns defending nothing. You talk but say nothing.

Keep talking…

1 Like

yoyodoc, I just find it rude and antagonistic how you were responding here. WHat gives?

1 Like

I really don’t understand this statement. I know what you’re saying but I don’t see that the hex end comes up the same way all the time. In my experience the hex end of the axle can really end up up (exposed) or down depending on what half it screws into a bit tighter. If you consistently have the hex end exposed when you take your yoyos apart I’d say you’re very lucky.

Yes you are correct the axle can turn up in both directions. No big deal when it is loose but when it is tight and you have to use a tool you take the chance of ruining the threads. That’s why I had to use the double nut method.

1 Like

it is not always the case, often the fact that the axis remains screwed onto a shell rather than the other depends on the thread of the shell itself. so if you care to screw the axis of this shell, the hexagon side you will find free … at least in my experience …

OK, I fully understand that, I just don’t see where it is relevant in a review comment. It’s not really a quality issue.

The reasoning is this. As I said in my original statement that after removal of the stuck axle I noticed that the threads on the hex end of the axle were damaged. That’s why it was stuck. These things are very revalant to quality! More than likely this is what happened. During the assembly process who ever took a random axle did not inspect it and screwed it in the yoyo non hex side down. The same way I always do. Because the damage was on the hex side the axle screwed in with no problem. Next the bearing was installed, the the two halves were screwed together. Because of the rough hex end and tight bearing seat the false impression of the two halves being tight were given to the assembler. These are all things someone with a brand new yoyo that had never been thrown does not want to see. It was a simple mistake, but could have been avoided by inspecting the axle. So yes it is a quality issue. Not in the yoyo, but an assembly issue. Quality of a finished product involves all aspects, not just machining and anodizing.

1 Like