One Drop Side Effects Weight

Does anyone know where I can find info on the different weights of one drop side effects?

How much of a difference would they really make in play?

One Drop has them all listed on their page:
http://onedropyoyos.com/side-effects/

I also remember seeing a chart with all the SE compatible yo-yos and side effects broken down into individual weights, but not sure where that was.

1 Like

You can find the info here at yoyo expert. Look in the description under side effects. Also one drops website has the info for all side effects.

1 Like

Thanks!
Does it really make much difference?

You would be surprised what a half a gram will do. It’s very noticeable. It won’t effect spin times or stability, but your yoyos presence on the string will.

It does make a noticeable difference, because the weight is located around the axle area and therefore stays in the center while the yoyo spins.

Whereas, if you were to get a yoyo heavily powder coated or something, you probably wouldn’t feel much of a difference because the weight would be evenly distributed over the entire body.

I mean, I get what you guys are saying, and from a physics stand point, different weight is different, but we are talking about less than one percent of the yoyos weight right?

1 Like

Do the disks spin independently of the yoyo? i.e. Are there bearings in them?

If they don’t, what’s the point?

It changes the weight distribution ( ie, the relational weight) which is very useful. We showed with the Benchmark series that weight distribution is a huge factor in how a yoyo feels/plays.

1 Like

Can you maybe try and be less negative on the forum? We all have opinions and when you state all of your opinions as fact - I think it leads to a lot of frustration…

My opinion:
One of my favorite all time yo-yos has always been the Code 2 - and this yo-yo really lends itself to different side effects. I have always found a huge difference between the various types. Ultra lights & Spikes even despite there not being a huge weight difference - and more so on the discs - my favorite setup was a nickel code 2 with large nickel discs - it was awesome. I really like the change in ‘feel’ that side effects gives - it almost makes it feel like a new yo-yo sometimes… Regardless of what the numbers look like or how you try to quantify it - you can’t argue if someone likes something different for what it is - let them like it and enjoy it…

5 Likes

Sweet! I actually have a nickel code two. I need to find some disks!

Thanks!

1 Like

Finding those disks may not be so easy, but if you’re willing to have a very slightly different mass distribution, you can get a similar total mass if you use Brass Flat Cap SEs (7.7 gm) or Brass Energy Domes (8.0 gm), compared to the large Nickel Disk SEs (7.4 gm). AND…both the brass Flat Caps and Energy Domes are in stock right here at YYE!

Can’t get much better than that!

db

1 Like

…unless you had these! :slight_smile:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/theflooper/Misc%202/20161202_205535_zpsdeicony9.jpg

db

1 Like

Da5id, I wouldn’t mind your opinion on what you feel is the best side effects for the 2014 ‘O’ Benchmark. I mean the ones you feel complement it the most. That is, unless the aluminium flat caps they ship with already are the best choice.

Love the side effects. The prescription feels great with energy domes. Probably my favorite setup for it.

The experience people have playing yoyos is so subjective that there isn’t a best. We ship it with the Side Effects we like, but it really is up to each person what they like. That’s the beauty of Side Effects!

1 Like

…and so is this!

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg140/theflooper/Misc%202/20161203_134329_zpsdh7ifyoz.jpg

db

1 Like

I myself am studying physics. It’s pretty interesting to learn about center of mass and rotating inertia definitely applicable for a spinning yoyo. As far air interacting around the yoyo in my opinion it would have to do more with the amount of vibration caused by the spinning yoyo assuming the yoyo’s surface is relatively smooth so it’s friction with air is negligible. Within the gap it would form some sort of low pressure environment for sure though.

-bbdave-

I have always wondered if spinning yo-yos are impacted by the Magnus effect.

Doubt it, unless it is offstring, the yoyo is experiencing tension from the string (centripetal force from tricks) so the yoyo really wouldn’t be affected. There is some YouTube videos that depict that effect for example a basketball is tossed with an initial spin causing its flight pattern to be deviated

-bbdave-