Customer Service      FAQ      Email Sign Up      My Account      View Cart     
YoYoExpert Forums
April 25, 2017, 01:59:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Forums!  Try out our new and improved chat room!

Home   Chat Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practicing method?  (Read 961 times)
AaronW
Trade Count: (70)

United States United States

Fav. Yo-Yo: the kind made of wood

Thank You
-Given: 460
-Receive: 224

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 10:34:04 AM »

I have been practice Rancid milk for a couple weeks now. It took me about 5 hours before I could complete the sequence, now im just smoothing, refining, adding flair, and learning the performing side of it over the technical aspects. Its just such a fun trick its become my default!

Pretty much if you feel burnt out, back off, try something else for a while and I bet when you come back youll be better, closer, and more confident.

Really want to practice it, grab a FHZ and learn it Wink
InvaderDust
Trade Count: (21)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Tundra
Fav. Trick: That which looks like magic.

Thank You
-Given: 151
-Receive: 287

I Dodged 99 Arrows, but My Knee Took One...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »

Really want to practice it, grab a FHZ and learn it Wink

I can Rancid Milk on a 5A setup. Ive got a FG Tundra setup for 5A and while the shorter string makes it different, and I have yet to add CW elements, ive been working on 5A quietly now for a minute. Smiley

I dont really own any plastics to try my luck with. They just feel so "toy"-ish. I dunno..

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
AaronW
Trade Count: (70)

Fav. Yo-Yo: the kind made of wood

Thank You
-Given: 460
-Receive: 224

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »

I can Rancid Milk on a 5A setup. Ive got a FG Tundra setup for 5A and while the shorter string makes it different, and I have yet to add CW elements, ive been working on 5A quietly now for a minute. Smiley

I dont really own any plastics to try my luck with. They just feel so "toy"-ish. I dunno..

Need a Freehand 1 or FHZ in your collection, everyone needs at least one  Wink

I just bought my last 3 freehands...I mean it this time Grin
skitrz
Trade Count: (2)

Thank You
-Given: 1445
-Receive: 903

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »

I hate when yoyo's feel like toys!  Grin Yoyos are serious business.
(Just messin with ya. I understand what you're saying)

Myk_Myk
Trade Count: (4)

Fav. Yo-Yo: 2SickYoYos-Rook

Thank You
-Given: 344
-Receive: 119

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »

...Itll get worse and worse until I start developing problems that I never had before if I keep missing. I just have to try something else, which I hate because I don't like to "quit" anything but I know that's what I have to do before I get too frustrated.

I touched on this in the "What are you working on thread?" talking about working on the 1a trick ladder. You do have to be careful not to actually ingrain the mistake. I think it's important to make sure you consciously change one aspect of how you're attempting the trick before getting too many reps in. If it's a popular trick, I've found it helps to look at as many different tutorials as possible. Sometimes a certain perspective or accumulation of perspectives can get it to click.

I think working on something to the point of frustration and beyond is highly beneficial, but then as others have said, taking a break and returning later can often be key.

Best advice I've ever received as far as practicing was: "Only practice what is right, don't practice wrong."

Which is basically breaking everything down, and only practice doing it right.  If you miss one part, stop the trick and start over, go slow until you get it.  Then work up to the speed that you want it to be at.

This was from a guitar teacher I had once, but I think the same principals apply to a yoyo trick.

I agree with everything here except the start over part. Yes stop, but if possible stop to work on the element/section you're missing. Starting from the beginning of the trick (or musical piece) is not an efficient use of time. Isolate the weak parts to bring them up to the level of the rest of the trick (piece), and then practice in larger sections, or as a whole.

No, that's not Skoal in my pocket.

Looking for a "Big Deal"
Paul
Trade Count: (2)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Its a secret.... for now...
Fav. Trick: Hit a half court shot off string once. Shattered the yoyo. Worth it.

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 14

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:28 AM »

Smoothness has always been huge for me. So, I learn the trick first on a dead unresponsive yoyo to get the movements and sequence down. Then I swap to a responsive and thinner yoyo to "refine" it. Youll find the spots you dont know well very quickly when you pause to think or jitter around looking for the right position when you get smacked in the hands. Ive been throwing since 1997 (I was 7!) so I had 5-6 years under my belt before unresponsive was a "thing"

Sent from my iPad using YoYoExpert

Glenacius K
Trade Count: (18)

Australia Australia

Fav. Yo-Yo: Yoyofficer Urban
Fav. Trick: Many

Thank You
-Given: 98
-Receive: 161

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:26 AM »

Best advice I've ever received as far as practicing was: "Only practice what is right, don't practice wrong."

Which is basically breaking everything down, and only practice doing it right.  If you miss one part, stop the trick and start over, go slow until you get it.  Then work up to the speed that you want it to be at.

This was from a guitar teacher I had once, but I think the same principals apply to a yoyo trick.

If only the kids I teach applied this in their writing, there would be more quality results.

Yoyofficer team member
morgothaod
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Trick: Finger spin

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »

I tend to switch tricks when my frustration level surpasses my fun level.
antonizick
Trade Count: (3)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Shutter, Firrox
Fav. Trick: Horizontal finger spins, and whatever I've just learned

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »

As mentioned above, I also break tricks down into sub-steps to learn them.

What has also been successful for me....

I organize my tricks into groups.  When I'm practicing to make progress I rotate between the 3-4 tricks I'm trying to learn at that time.  If I start to burn out a little I'll throw 3-4 tricks I've recently learned (but still need to polish) then I'll go back to the 3-4 I'm trying to learn at that time.  For me it feels like an effective way to make progress without growing frustrated.

Also if you can pair up a difficult trick with a bind or quick-wind technique it helps.

Thanks to horizontal spins taking me several months to learn, I'm great at snap-starting a yoyo Smiley
WoodRat
Trade Count: (3)

Fav. Yo-Yo: YYR Lilliputian, CLYW Scout, MFD 2Evil
Fav. Trick: Revenge of Buddha's Gerbil, Hop and a Sky Bind

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 32

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »

I tend to switch tricks when my frustration level surpasses my fun level.

^ same

We're not happy until you're not happy!   *<B{Q>

I don't always ding my expensive yo-yos, but when I do, I just throw them again!   ;-)
ClaytonDM
Trade Count: (0)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Shutter
Fav. Trick: Magic Trick

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »

I'll usually run through most of the tricks I know quickly, then spend the majority of the time focusing on one trick. I also spend more time on tricks I know but don't land consistently. There's usually 3-4 tricks that I've "learned" in the past couple months but still need practice on for consistency.
WH0TH3MAN
Trade Count: (34)

Fav. Yo-Yo: Whatever I'm using
Fav. Trick: Ninja vanish (simple but amazing)

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 167

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »

I don't practice really. I do whatever seems fun at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using YoYoExpert

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: