Wood anybody?

Ha, thanks man. I did lose some. Kinda lucked into an algorithm that’s worked for me. I def appreciate the kind words, but I’m on the same journey as everybody - some days it feels like I’ve figured it out, and others I’m just wandering around with my pants on backwards. Thanks for watching and for the encouragement!

What’s a good fixed axle yoyo for me to start learning fixed axle tricks?

1 Like

The EH is perfect :ok_hand:

Yeah but I don’t want to spend $85 before I know I like this style of play. It’s a beautiful yoyo though.

Anything good below $50?

The new EH is too expensive for me let alone a beginner. Many of us learned on a Duncan Butterfly (about $5) but a good wood choice would be TMBR ( 50) or OUT (under 50) If you look at the videos you will see tricks being done on all of these.
BTW; Ed - looking good!

Just a classic Duncan Butterfy ($3 at Walmart and other stores) is a decent fixed axle yoyo. You can make it even better by replacing the metal axle with a piece of wooden dowel. This is what I learned the basics on, before getting my hands on an older No Jive :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea. What about wood yoyos?

Look for used Tom Kuhn or BC yoyos on the BST for $30 or less.

Ok thanks guys.

Yeah I totally get that the eH is hard to go for as a first fixed axle yo-yo. It’s really meant for players who know they’re into it and are looking for a different level of material/craftsmanship/detail and a yo-yo they can kind of develop a “relationship” with (at the risk of sounding silly).

If you’re starting out, you can’t go wrong with either of these. They’ll both set you straight you on the fixed axle path.

OUT and Hildy Bros are also WONDERFUL.

1 Like

What size dowel do I use for the butterfly?

Ok awesomeness! Thanks

I’ve tried an OUT Hipster, don’t own one yet, but, I liked the way it played.

Like others, I started with a Duncan Butterfly and eventually worked up to the 2015 eH. If you need convincing the Duncan Butterfly is capable, go to YouTube and search “Drew Tetz Duncan”. Prepare to be amazed.

Remember, fixed axle play isn’t about the coolest or most expensive gear, but about having fun (although cool gear is always nice). What I will say in praise of unsealed wood is that over the past year of playing my 2015 eH, it has become one of a kind. There is no other eH out there that has the same usage dings and use patina as mine. Sealed wood shows it use, but differently (or maybe I just play the eH that much more). Plastic is fine, it will ding and scuff to show use. However, in my opinion, the eH is more beautiful today than it was straight from the box.

Good luck in dipping your toe into fixed axle. I hope you find you enjoy it.

So many great fixed axles today.

Like what others have said, these are some of my favorites:

TMBR (anything! Colin is a genius) - Sullivan, Irving
Duncan Butterfly - Hold out for a sparkle finish :wink:
Hildy Currier - One of my favorites, Luke is making a take apart design now, can’t wait to try it!
Tom Kuhn No Jive - just a classic, and one of the best fixed axles ever designed.

All of those you should be able to find under $50.

1 Like

What about lottery for ebony Eh? Is it closed?

I never leave home without a Silver Bullet on my bag.

I think my 2015 EH would be my fave wood, if I could carry it in my pocket. unfortunately, the heat and humidity of my pocket make the wood thread axle come apart on me. As long as I don’t carry it in my pocket it stays together fine. So, I mostly have the No Jive in my pocket.

Definitely love how the EH plays, though! I think I would be most interested in the Zebrano to try something lighter than the Oak. It’s hard not to want the Wenge though…

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x274/EightPlus/Intruments/2d9691ec-a5d6-4122-a42e-766dca93a95c.jpg

…but I see it’s too late anyway.

1 Like

Is that a Conklin Sidewinder lol?
I went through a 6-string phase around college (never 7). Kinda glad I found an appreciation for the classic Fender Jazz and realized I’m better suited to less strings/frets and more tone/technique. Not meant to sound snobby/elitist at all. It’s a lot like fixed axle and bearings - sometimes it’s easier to find your style when you impose some limitations. Also, that wenge is pretty.

I LOVE the zebrano’s weight. It’s like a Duncan Butterfly made of really nice wood. So you get that texture and smoothness along with super easy stalls/flips/moons. It and the bubinga have been on my finger the most so far.

No, I hear you!

I went through a Stanley Clarke phase and I had basses tuned all different ways. I realized that with a 6-string I could have all three on one bass. I had another local maker, Jay Riness make me one, and I tuned it E A D G C F. I lost all interest in the 4-string and sold all of mine. It makes me sick now that I sold my first one, which was an old Fender Precision.

I decided I wanted the low B and that’s how I ended up with 7 strings.

This was made by Greg Curbow, who was a luthier in the Blue Ridge Mountains who has since passed. I also have 6-string fretless of purple heart and lace redwood by him.

I have since bought a 4-string and enjoy it a lot. It’s definitely better for teaching! If I want the full effect of imposing limitations, I play the tuba!

Sorry I took us off topic. I might have to sell something, and get the Zebrano. I’ve spent way too much on yoyos recently! Still would like to try the other makers as well. haven’t tried O.U.T or Hildy.