Whats your opinion on Cheap Chinese throws?

I would suggest you to try out Yoyofficer. They’re based in china & their throws have quite a bit of personality in them. Not to mention that they’re a steal for the price.

Heard of them, they released the orbis yeh? Can’t seem to find a way to get one. I live in Australia,Perth so if you know some sites PM me.

Dust, I have to agree wholly with your assessment of Duncan’s beginner level yoyos. At our house we call the fixed axle Butterfly the “punishment yoyo.” If you’ve been bad, you have to play with the butterfly. Even their mid-level yoyos like the Metal Drifter wear through those darn friction pads really fast. They just don’t feel like a quality yoyo. I wasn’t aware of the other company stuff. I have heard that the reason CLYW uses the initials CLYW instead of “Cascade Lodge Yoyo Works” is because Duncan has somehow copyrighted the word “Yoyo” in Canada. I’ don’t know if that’s true. If it is then that seems like a bit of over reach.

I do have a different view on Magic Yoyos though. I think the N12 is an amazing yoyo and is a great intermediate level yoyo regardless of price. The Silencer is a bit heavy for my taste and the finish doesn’t lend itself to grinds. But it looks beautiful and plays really well. Neither of them would put off a beginner, in fact, they are both pretty decent starter to intermediate throws. The MYY K8, however, is pretty bad. Instead of hub stacks there’s a plastic insert which is suppose to spin, but is just held there by friction. Within an hour of getting mine I used a Dremel tool to cut them out. The yoyo with the inserts is a vibrating mess, without the inserts it’s a big yoyo that feels like it has bad weight distribution. It’s larger in diameter than a Shutter but with less rim weight.

So they vary. Some are awesome, some are not. I still highly recommend the Magic Yoyo N12 for anyone.

I’m not even gonna lie, the N12 from MYY shreds. It was one of my first yoyos and it didn’t discourage me at all. I got it as a prize and was unaware of the price. (I was a noob lol) When I learned how much they cost, I was shocked.

The N12 is a fantastic yoyo. Plain and simple.

It was a great contest! I was glad to see you walk away with a N12 along with other yo-yos, a Duncan banner along with a lot of other merchandise. It is great that the yo-yo community has helped sponsor the New Mexico Yo Down Show Down with prizes. I wouldn’t be run the event for 12 years without past sponsorship from these great companies: Yomega, YoYoFactory, Duncan, Vulto, SuperYo and MagicYoYo. I have respect for companies that sponsor contests and help build a bigger community.

Magic yo yos are great. I have a T8 and it’s awesome. I got it for $11 with a discount.

My opinion is of course Infamous. Just ask anyone.
Buy American!!!

Go to [Iforgottoreadtherules.com] they will have YYOs in stock

Please don’t send people to other online stores. Thanks.

I would much rather my money go to a company that is innovating than a company that is knocking off.

No knock offs for me.

[quote=“Dust,post:6,topic:80288”]
You can have a LOT of fun with those two yoyos, especially for me the butterfly! A $12 yoyo that doesn’t come back up when you tug the string could cause many to quit as well…

1 Like

I kinda learnt all upto ladder escape on an auldey…go figure

I ordered a cheap Chinese yoyo that was going to be my first unresponsive. It never came and thats when I found YYE lol. Needless to say Im knee deep in quality throws now. My MYY T5 stands up against my other throws quite well though.

Caribou Lodge, actually.

And Duncan doesn’t hold the trademark on the word “yo-yo” anywhere, they lost that in the 1960s in a landmark trademark case that contributed to the bankruptcy of the company and its sale to Flambeau, the current owners.

The trademark in Canada on the word “yo-yo” is currently held by a company called Papa’s Toys. They churn out a couple of total garbage “beginner” yo-yos and do not care about quality or the industry.

3 Likes

In Canada, Papa’s Toys also collects money from other companies by “licensing” the yo-yo trademark and logo to companies like Yomega and Duncan. It’s silly.

Why does the word yoyo still have to remain trademarked in this day & age?

I did too.

But I think that is not the point, I think all yoyo would be good enough to perform these days, but sometimes the experience isn’t there.

This is super honest. I’ve never tried it, but it’s nice to see a person who makes yo-yos be honest, and not hate on an inexpensive yo-yo based on where it was made, or what company made it. If it plays well, it’s just good, and that’s it. Props to you.

1 Like

You’re right of course, it’s Caribou Lodge. ;D

Thank you for the correction. I had no idea it was Papa’s Toys rather than Duncan. I appreciate knowing that so I don’t accidentally promote incorrect data.

The Duncan Butterfly is a fantastic yoyo. It’s cheap and is great for a total beginner who has never had a yoyo return to their hand. You can do all the basic tricks with them. For an advanced player, it’s fixed-axel goodness. Is it the best yoyo? Of course not, but I get tired of all the posts that make it sound like it’s the worse thing ever made for the community. Watch what the old timers can do with it. While bearings have made crazy tricks more accessible to everyone, it has also taken away the skill you needed back in the old days.

Also, the weapon thing was a rumor from like 80 years ago. In a recent documentary, the Duncan Crew said it was determined to be just be a rumor and that it wasn’t true.

Ehhh, what do they know?? :slight_smile: