Throwing a straight sleeper

Hey guys,

For the past couple of days I have been trying to throw a straight sleeper. I’m still having trouble where the string tilts the yoyo to the right, and sometimes to the left.

Any tips on making sure my throw is straight? I know practicing is key, but I wanna know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to ensure a smooth and straight throw.

Thank you!!

Not just practice, but mindful practice. As you throw, be very deliberate, and try to mentally record what your hand was doing and what the results were. Correct failed sleepers appropriately, and when you throw good ones, be mindful of what your hand/arm were doing.

So really, the only answer is “practice”. But practice good sleepers. Don’t bother practicing bad ones. :wink:

Hahahaha! Well said Greg, I will keep that in mind. Thank you :slight_smile:

THAT is probably the best advice anyone can give regarding practice of any type.

I teach music as a 2nd job and I have a lot of students who think that practice is noodling with their guitar as they watch television. That’s not practice and it’s not being mindful. True practice is being aware of why things go wrong, and correcting that problem.

By the way, I’ve been throwing yoyos for just over a year and I can tell you that throwing a consistently straight throw is still something I have to work on. Especially with a breakaway throw. So don’t worry, you’re going through the same learning curve everyone else does.

2 Likes

Well said GregB! Both about the yoyo and the students. How well I know about both.