Yoyoing in Chernobyl?

Hi everyone! If you watched the news today, you will know that 30 years ago on this day, the Chernobyl incident occurred.

My question is, since they have tours of the city, would it be possible to film a yoyo video, given you follow safety precautions (and got it approved safe by staff/tour guides)? I’m asking because idk if the radiation would react/latch onto the aluminum or plastic and was wanting to travel there in the future.

I’m not sure I’d feel comfortable about the idea of playing yo-yo at the site of an infamous nuclear disaster that had happened back when Russia was the USSR.

I have no idea if its possible. But id do it O_O

1 Like

If you want to die of radiation poisoning, or at least get your favorite yo-yo contaminated, be my guest.

Well, gimme a radiation suit & a uranium yoyo then!

I’d be more worried about personal radiation contamination than my yoyo.
Don’t get none on ya…

I remember watching some video about a tour there and the guide was saying that spending a day on one of the designated tour paths was equivalent to like ~3 x-rays. That’d make for a pretty crazy yoyo video!

Theoretically, you shouldn’t be playing in the contaminated areas right?
So, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

If I’m not mistaken, there is radiated dust that is the problem, but the tour paths should be in “safe” areas.

Also, there are a couple hundred people who live in the area despite it being closed off and they have no statistically significant instances of health issues.

While you’re there see if you can get bitten by a spider or something.
If you’re going to get radiated, you may as well get some super powers out of it.

Haha

chernobyl center is the real issue.
where the reactor is there is a dome now covering it but it is under construction right now.
most of the area is safe to stay in for a few days, and in the outskirts many people still live.
yoyoing most likely wouldn’t be a problem in those areas. however, i would make sure to decontaminate it afterwords.

recently a man did a 8 day hike through the region even walking within a mile of the main reactor. he only experienced a slight raise in radioactivity then would normally be seen walking around a large city.
though this is illegal and if he was caught the soldiers guarding the site have full authority to shoot him.

are you shure you know how radioactive radiation works ?

things, don`t get radioactive when getting radiated. The whole area got contaminated with radioactive material (mostly Cesium) back then. pretty much everything got cleaned up and the faulty reaktor is covered up. But the soil and some areas still have a high pollution from these radioactive materials. You are not supposed to stay in such areas and or eat fruits from their soil as you start to accumulate radioactive material in you body by breathing or eating.

But a short visit is in no way dangerous. in fact, it is a tourist attraction and there are tours to the power plant. just know that the area is still restricted area and you have to do everything what the tour guide says. so shooting videos or doing performances should be requested somehow in advance or are may not be possible. but you will have to ask the locals there.

1 Like

Well radiation can actually fade away quicker than you would think. For example if you stand at the exact spot the atomic bomb dropped in Hiroshima the amount of radiation you’d be exposed to would be equivalent to eating 3 bananas. So if you were to stand right next to reactor #4 for an hour, today that would be equivalent to 50 bananas. Thats the similar dose of radiation you get when you get a dental X-ray. So to answer the question. Yes you most likely could yoyo in Chernobyl. But you shouldn’t because i wanna do it first O_O

This might help: http://www.barringer1.com/mil_files/NASA-SP-8053.pdf

You guys ever seen the special edition of River Monsters that Jeremy Wade did at Chernobyl?

Anyways, I wouldn’t do it, he was only allowed about 48 hours and he was constantly being monitored to make sure his radioactive levels were not too high. I think it’s too risky, but if you really had your heart set on doing that, be my guest.

I saw a recent History channel visit to the spill over detainment pond next to the reactor and fond fish alive a well living in the pond! Now that is amazing evidence…they also did studies of the animals living in the area and at first they showed evidence of lesions and deformities in some species but after next generation births most of these symptoms disappeared and life goes on…EARTH…

Reduce, reuse, and recycle…and live forever!

This is kinda what i meant. the only hazardous areas are near vegetation, water sources, inside most buildings, and of course the reactor. i would definitely thoroughly explain what i would be doing. but i would assume just a couple hours would be plenty of time to just do a few tricks on camera and (safely) sightsee, let alone 24-48. according to the tour website, you are permitted to bring cameras and/or cellphones, just not leave them on the ground for any period of time and be smart with how you use them. i would for sure be following any and every safety precaution, especially since i get paranoid very easily.

@zorro really?!? i loved river monsters when it was running! im looking that up on youtube asap.

@iwishiwasayoyoexpert i agree, it would be awesome!

@morgoroth haha, i get it lol

also, the climate in Ukraine is described as “dry, warm summers and brutal winters”. so it wouldn’t be humid during the summer unlike Kansas. :stuck_out_tongue:

i would also bring a replay or something inexpensive in case they allow it but it gets contaminated.