Polishing SS weight rings?

so now that I’ve asked everything I can other than this recently, I hope I’m not spamming this board too much, I wanna know if I could safely hand polish steel rings or if I am gonna end up rubbing the anno off the aluminum in contact with the rings? I mean it’s abrasive so it seems like a bad idea, but do you think it could be done by a careful hand, or should I just not?

How are you polishing it? Just use one of those polish cream things and you should be fine I would think. I like to use Mother’s Aluminum Polish (works on all metals). I know Monkeyfingr also make some sort of polish. What do you mean it’s “abrasive”?

I wanted that mirror finish on the weight rings, fam

the odds are you’ll end up scuffing the anodizing in the process… you could mask it and try to be -extremely- careful but one mistake with an abrasive polish and you’re going to start eating into the ano pretty quickly.

^^ this

I probably wouldn’t even try it for “internal” (cup) rings.

If I really insisted on trying to polish the rims of an SS yoyo (which I probably won’t), I would not only mask, but I would also put the yoyo half in the chuck of a drill, taking a bunch of precautions (mostly against torque; you could strip your halves in a hurry if you do something wrong). Even though the yoyo half would be spinning pretty quickly, you could use a jig or at least a support for your hand to make your aim a lot steadier as you start applying the abrasive/polish.