youtube video downloads

Youtube seems to have recently changed their download policy, basically blocking downloads of a lot of material, a lot of which was previously available. Up to approx a week ago quite a few music videos were available to download with browser plug-ins. Today I noticed that most all music downloads are being blocked. I can still download most yoyo videos. I checked against some of the music I previously downloaded and those are currently blocked as well. Has anyone else seen this?

p.s. The published guidelines regarding downloading/use have not changed since about 2010.

Youtubers have also lost their license and have been taken off youtube payments…

So was there any mention of this sudden enforcement change on youtube?

with everything im following in the tech world this has gone radio silent…

A bit of a necro, but it happened again

Once again youtube seems to have changed the video download policy and they’ve removed the functionality from chrome completely. I’ve used “video download helper” in both firefox and chrome in the recent past. In firefox the download icon is in black and white, signifying there is no video. If you click on the icon you get the message that “There is no media to process in the current tab”

In chrome you get this message:
"Warning on Chrome extensions and YouTube⊗

Unfortunately, the Chrome Web Store does not allow extensions for downloading YouTube videos so we had to remove this feature."

Just noticed this recently and have gone back to videos I have downloaded and get the same results. On non youtube sites things work as expected.

On firefox it is mostly on music videos, but also on some general non-music videos. On chrome it seems to be across the board. After I first posted this a few years back things started working again after a fashion. Now they’ve pretty much gone south again.

2 Likes