Talon bind.

Anyone have a good tutorial for a talon bind?
I feel like I’m doing it right but it keeps spinning out before the string is all the way wound.

Maybe just suggestions on getting more spin time in the mount?

Have you tried applying less pressure when you grab the yoyo? In my experience, the duration of the bind tends to decrease a whole lot when I’m grabbing the yoyo side harder (I guess harder grab = more friction = less speed = shorter spin time).

1 Like

Does the yoyo ride on your fingernails?
Followup question:
Do you have to have long fingernails?

I’m probably not the most reliable source on this :slight_smile: , but yes, I think the yoyo touches the fingernails, not the flesh of the finger. How are you getting into the talon grind? Are you hopping the yoyo into the air and catching it? Also, what yoyo are you using? If you have a yoyo without a ridge on the outside, that may also be the problem, since the best for the bind are usually those with a ridge (like the YYF Shutter)…
As for the length of the fingernails, to be honest, I’m not sure. I would guess that super-short fingernails would make the grind and the bind extremely difficult, if not impossible, but I’m not sure :-\ .

I’ve had some success with my too hot and my SS 2016.
If there is enough of a ridge to do a thumb grind that seems to make a big difference.

I’ve never heard the term “talon bind” before, but I can imagine the bind you’re talkind about. Riding on your fingernails is definitely helpful. Using the flesh of your fingers (unless you have very dry fingers indeed) will kill the spin. Fingernails!

Having a grind ring is probably helpful, but I tend to do this grind/bind with pretty much any yoyo. Haven’t met with difficulty on any in particular.

There was a tutorial about binds where Adam B from - competitors site - called it that.
It’s working, but I’ll consider growing my nails out a little to see if it helps.

1 Like

If your fingers are anything like mine if they haven been washed in five minutes they’re too sweaty to ever touch the yoyo so I think fingernails are the way to go. My fingernails are like 2 mm long right now but they get to 4 mm before I trim them. Don’t take advice from me though, because I can’t do talon binds either.

Everybody’s fingers are different; I don’t grow my nails on purpose, and I trim them regularly. Between having pretty dry skin and the tiny bit of nails I do have (usually less than 1mm), I can still do a talon grind on a given yoyo.

I do think they dry skin helps a lot, though. Humidity is the killer of grinds.

YoYoTricks came out with a helpful tutorial for the talon bind, though I’m not sure if this is exactly the one you are trying to perform.

2 Likes