Polishing nickel

What polishing compound do you use to polish a nickel plated yoyo? I have mothers aluminum polish, will that work?

Most any metal polish should work. My own preference is Neverdull.

The mothers aluminum polish worked like a dream.

1 Like

I used Mother’s Aluminium Polish on my MarkMont Classic, it got rid of the tarnish. This is what David from One Drop recommended when I asked him.

While sitting on the carpet in that picture, that yoyo looks like it’s going really fast.

Anyone know if silver Polish would work.

Silver tarnish is actually silver sulfide, and silver polish is designed to remove the very thin layer of silver sulfide, leaving a fresh, untarnished surface of silver. Tarnished nickel is primarily an oxide, so I would not expect a silver polish to have much of an effect on tarnished nickel, unless it contains abrasives. Nickel will tarnish in the presence of a sulfur-rich environment, but it is much less reactive with sulphur than is silver.

As David of One Drop says, get Mother’s Aluminum Polish…I’ve been known to have a few nickel plated yoyos, and have only used Mother’s on a couple of them to brighten them up. Fortunately, most of my nickel yoyos do not tarnish! :slight_smile:

db

Polish that comes in a tube, like Mother’s and Simichrome, do a great job, but they are more abrasive than you need for shining up your yoyo so use them sparingly. Nevr-dull works great and is gentle, but it stinks and may cause flashbacks if you were ever in the Navy. There is a product called Cape Cod metal polishing cloths that you can get that is inexpensive and works a lot like Nevr-dull, and it smells like vanilla cookies, completely flashback free…

I don’t know, vanilla cookies could cause some flashbacks from that Hansel and Grettle documentary I saw.

I like tarnish, builds character.