Yoyofficer Shift Review

Yoyofficer Shift Review

Yoyofficer’s bimetal, the Rave proved to be an excellent first attempt and remains a popular choice among $100 bimetals. For their second attempt, they wanted to create something smaller at a lower price as a good choice for a first bimetal. So the question is: does this lower priced model still exhibit the desirable characteristics of a well made bimetal of higher price? Let’s take a look.

Specs:
Diameter: 54.08mm
Width: 45.3mm
Gap Width: 4.6mm
Weight: 63.6g

There are very few midsized bimetal options on the market today that aren’t extraordinarily expensive (like the TP Leviathan 7 or the Yoyorecreation Sputnik) so it’s good to see Yoyofficer offering a lower priced alternative. With a diameter of 54.08mm, it falls into the midsized category and its 45.3mm width makes it very comfortable to hold and return. At 63.6g, this is one of the lightest models that Yoyofficer has made, although, as with most other bimetals, the more extreme rim weight gives it solid and capable feeling in play. The steel rings are very small and understated, residing right on the edge of the rim and are only about 3-4mm wide. This deliberate design choice has a pleasant effect its play which I will talk about later. The colours are bright with a light blast and the gear stick logo stands out boldly and attractively without taking itself too seriously.

Yoyofficer has not deviated from their reliable black 19mm pads or their 10 ball string centering bearing in this model. I like this combination. The only bummer about having black pads is that it can make lighter coloured strings look a little dirty after some throwing. This is really only a very minor complaint that has no effect on play whatsoever. The grooved bearing is quiet and trustworthy right out of the box.

What is most noteworthy about the Shift is how well it meets a good middle-ground between monometal and bimetal feel and performance. This may make it sound rather pedestrian, but this is certainly not the case. It feels light, yet powerful; fast, yet relaxed and comfortable without sacrificing performance. As with other bimetals, it is very stable and has a strong spin while feeling incredibly smooth on the string. It’s a yoyo that truly works for you rather than demanding you adjust your play style to meet its characteristics and idiosyncrasies. There are not many yoyos, particularly bimetals, that achieve this so well.

Yoyofficer has certainly created an excellent entry level bimetal that can stand up against others much more expensive than itself. Whether this is your first or 21st bimetal, the Shift will impress you and soon become one of your daily throws.

']YoYoExpert mobile app[/URL]

1 Like

Overall, very nice review, but I noticed you accidentally misquoted the width as the diameter here.

If you read it carefully, there is no misquote. It’s just a poorly constructed sentence. Lol

Reading it again, I see that you’re right. Silly me.

I was almost gonna note that statement as well but seeing that you had the specs clearly stated above, I figured I’d just kick back and enjoy reading a yoyo review, things we don’t see a lot of these days.

I just went ahead and edited it to avoid any more confusion over the diameter. :wink: