iYoyo Firrox Review

iYoyo came up with 2 new designs this past month: the Hidra and the Firrox. Both of these throws share a similar shape, a wide H-shape. The Firrox is their latest design that released a couple weeks ago and is the second bimetal from iYoyo. Was this yoyo a hit or a miss?

Specs (borrowed from YYE):
Diameter: 56.57 mm / 2.23 inches
Width: 43.79 mm / 1.72 inches
Weight: 65.3 grams

Design/Appearance
One of the first things that catches my eye with this throw is the wide, polished steel rims. I was in a toss up of getting a dark gray Firrox or the German Edition (German Edition won over, still wouldn’t mind the dark gray one too). The fingerspin cup has a logo and (a lot of) fine text that states who designed it, where it was made, and batch #. I almost feel like it could have either done with just the yoyo’s name and the flame, a flame by itself, or no engraving (more on this later).

Play
The yoyo looks like it would have that hefty rim weighty feel but it actually plays surprisingly light. It is very stable with its thick steel rims and honestly, this yoyo is very forgiving when you’re learning a new trick. Another highlight for me with the Firrox is the generous-sized catch zone. I guess you can say it makes landing some tricky/risky moves a breeze :).

One of the things I would like to point out though is that out of the box, finger spins are going to be tough. I’m not a fingerspin wizard but have the general idea down on pulling it off. The engraving is initially very grippy and will make it tricky. I noticed within a few days of play and such, the ‘rough’ feeling of the engraving smoothed out. While it’s no Elysian when it comes to fingerspinning, it is pretty decent (based off of my experience). The Hidra had a similar thing with its cup.

Finger grinds are a blast to pull off on this, the broad shape cradles around your finger and the finish on it is slick as melted butter.

https://instagram.com/p/BCZX_dbEBrj/

The Firrox stands out among my bimetals as it has a pretty unique feel and it breaks away from your typical V-shaped bimetals. It’s a wide H-shape with rounded edges which make it comfortable in the hand to hold and catch. In motion, the yoyo glides smoothly and can be played fast or slow. I’m not a fast player by any means but I can feel that the yoyo will gladly move quicker when pushed.

Despite the wide shape, I still found it to handle tech-based tricks rather well and as noted previously, makes landing some risky moves a breeze. I found myself confidently pulling off some tricks in which I otherwise had to pause with some of my other throws.

Overall: I love this throw. It’s hard for me to rank which throws are my favorites but this one is definitely one of my elites in my collection. For $100, I feel that every penny was well worth it.

4 Likes

thank you for a thoughtful and well written review. It sounds like this is a yoyo you have grown to love.

french

AngryGumball…

How does the Firrox compare to the Rave please?
(I think I remember you have (had?) one of those as well.)

I ask because the Rave is currently my top performer (IMO), I’d like to pick up a Firrox… I’m just trying to rationalize the price tag ::slight_smile: