Sengoku Masamune Review

Sengoku Masamune Review

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160308/8ba3470d0d5c4f1681c65a0937e6dd90.jpg

These days, it’s easy to get your hands on a great performing yoyo without spending more than $50. However, sooner or later, almost every committed yoyo player comes to a point where they want to reach for something higher than the average yoyo. A yoyo that a great deal of time, care and passion has been poured into to make it stand out from others. The Sengoku Masamune is a stellar example of such a yoyo.

In the past, I have been almost proud of never spending anymore than $150 on a yoyo, and had convinced myself that anything above that price could only be marginally better. However, there is really no telling until you do, so I went ahead an purchased a Sengoku Masamune. But was it worth spending almost $230?.. Let’s take a look.

Specifications:

Diameter: 55.05mm
Width: 44mm
Gap Width: 4.6mm
Weight 64.4g

Perhaps the most unique feature of the Masamune is the new high tech alloy it is machined from called Alumigo Hard. It has properties that even exceed steel in some areas, yet is easier to machine and reasonably priced. It is a very hard grade of aluminium, far exceeding 7075.

As you can see, it is a simple looking design, but its simplicty gives it a striking beauty. The bold contrast of the steel rings against the darker body give a real ‘I’m not fooling around here’ impression and it’s engravings are attractive. It’s a very serious looking yet attractive yoyo.

The Masamune comes with a YYR DS bearing and IrPads, which is a very reliable combination that performs excellently. There is no snaggy breaking in period, and and binds tightly when you want it to.

The walls of the Masamune have been machined very thinly, allowing the majority of its weight to be distributed in the steel in the rims. This enables a power and stability that can not be achieved with other aluminum alloys.
The Masamune’s extreme weight distribution enables exceptional performance. It has an enormous amount of stability and handles long, stressful tricks with ease, still returning to your hand with a satisfying and forceful slap. It feels very comfortable and zips around speedily without that dull, flat and heavy feeling that many bimetals exhibit. All in all, I can’t say that I’ve noticed anything that this yoyo lacks, unless you enjoy a really solid, hefty feeling. The Masamune is light feeling, but not hollow.

Okay. So what differentiates this yoyo from others which perform well and are much cheaper?..Well…It does everything much better and gives the thrower a feeling of confidence to enthusiastically push and push through long combos with endurance. It’s difficult to explain and is really something that can only be understood fully in experience.

Is it worth the $228 price tag?

I’m very pleased to say that it most definitely is.

']YoYoExpert mobile app[/URL]

3 Likes

Great review.

You do a nice job of combining the many visuals with the descriptions of the yo-yo and how it plays. This is truly one of the best yo-yo’s out there and your review only adds to the growing list of accolades for this yo-yo.

I look forward to reading more reviews in the future. Thanks for doing it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got to agree, fantastic review. I’ve been eyeing up one of these and the Hideyoshi for a while now.

Get them both. I am sure you will be pleased with both purchases.

Money doesn’t grow on trees but I’ll try my best to eventually get both. The mini one is what I’m more interested in right now.