YYR Bearing Extractor - Diamond or Dud?

YoYoRecreation Bearing Extractor

YYR is known for its precision. No corners cut, no expense spared, and straight up Top Shelf merch for us to slurp up with eager hands and emptying wallets.
I think its safe to say that if you are reading this, than you know that YYR in known to many to make some of the best yoyos on the planet. So I will not be talking about their yoyos but rather a tool.

In compact form, this is a tool to last the ages. As with most all “good tools” there is a hefty price tag attached. This tool was no different. In fact the sticker shock was one thing that made me go “WHAT?!” I thought to myself “Why did it cost over $50?”
I didn’t know then but I was going to find out sooner than later.

Here is where to get yours if you cant wait to have your own and just skip the review.
Yoyorecreation Bearing Extractor

Well after working some extra hours and being pleased with my current yoyo collection I figured it was time to get my own “good tool” since I started with YYF multi tool (its ok, it works, and its multi functions are a nice perk but I would not want to keep it in my pocket), then I got a Shinwoo Tool which I Love. I have it on my keys, with me always, and is just simple, sleek, and always on hand.

But then the mail man dropped off this.

In a handy dandy 2 part ratcheting plastic container to keep this Cadillac level tool safe, secure, and protected. Pull it apart I was surprised to find its size was was much smaller than I was expecting. I dont know why but I expected it to be bigger.
I was pleased with the weight. It’s solid. No rattling, no flimsly feel, not hollow feeling. There is nothing “cheap” feeling about it. Ribbed on both parts for grip. Built for C sized bearings only but other sized look to be available for other yoyo bearing sizes. (A,B,D etc)

It looks like a special ops tool!

Man this thing is sweet. I know that several of my throws have a death grip on their bearings. Both the YYF Multi Tool and Shinwoo tool have both struggled to free some of them. Putting them in the freezer helps in bad cases, but sometimes the bearing gets fused onto the tool itself. Ive heard of people never being able to get their bearings off their tools, while this hasnt happened to me, it is an issue to some.
YYR steps in and wipes the slate clean as every single problem we just encountered is not a problem when using their Extractor. Using a revolutionary 2 part system, there is no resistance in either part of going into the bearing or coming off the tool which is freaking awesome.

After you put the tool inside the bearing, you twist it until its hand tight and it snugs up inside the bearing hub. My other tools I always feel like I am cause slight damage to both the bearing and the bearing seat as evident of the ano destruction in the bearing seat and also the wear and tear on the tools themselves. There must also be marring and damage to the inside of the bearing as well from the rocking action needed to pull it out with the “other tools.”

Anyway, enough pics, and almost enough words. Lets see this thing in action! But first let me build the setting.

Bearing is locked down tight in my YYF Superstar like a princess in a tower needing rescuing. Enter the YYR Bearing Extractor to the rescue!!!
(Click link below to see video)

Final thoughts. Its an absolute DIAMOND!
The only downfall is that if your bearing falls on the axle side, you will need to remove the axle first. This is the only drawback I could scrounge up and its not a deal breaker, at least not for me. I Regret NOTHING! hahahahaha!!!

TL/DR - Tool is boss, YES its worth it for most serious enthusiasts. Overkill for casual or light dabblers. Watch the video link above for example of just how easy it works.

10 Likes

Very thorough and well-written review, thank you. I swear these things were retailing for $70-80ish a couple months ago, so it’s nice to see the price has come down a bit. It’s also nice to see a positive review with the overall impression that the tool is worth the price and very high quality.

1 Like

Amazingly effective for what it does.

As already stated, the tool is limited to the side of a Yoyo that has a bearing but no axle. If the axle is too tight to remove without damaging or glued in for whatever reason, than the tool has no function in that instance.

But if you can accept those moments than you can also appreciate when the bearing remover is effective.

I am certainly no cheap date, lol. I bought a pair of Oxy Hyperions just to make a 2-tone, hahaha…

Yet when I saw the price of the YYR bearing removal tool, I balked at buying one. Yep, that’s correct. I got cheap; underthinking the value of the tool and the precision machinework it takes/took to make it.

$50 for a little tool? Doubtful… a novelty tool… Prolly flimsy and break the first time I use it… I’ve been at this for 17 years now and have lived without one; right?

Then one night I just stared at the image of the little black bearing tool. I considered the time it would take to set up and make one(I have been known to 'uh, make things, lol). I considered how effective/useful it could be when necessary. I considered how long it would probably last if it was made as well as it looked.

… You ever plug in a toaster or radio with a loose connection? And the voltage goes right up your arm like a Bolt of lightning? And certain things simply come into Clear view and make perfect sense.

At that point, the $50 something price-tag was no barrier on the road to bearing removal nirvana.

I had Garrett add one to my order a few weeks ago.

Amazingly, the moment the Mailman was coming up the 17 steps to my front door, I just happened to not only have a STUCK BEARING but the bearing tool I was using was STUCK in the bearing!

I brought the box inside(not even thinking about the little tool in the box) and when I opened the box it was like a magical moment, lol.

Obviously I still had to deal with my double stuck situation. The New tool wasn’t a Magic wand, haha.

The bearing post on the Yoyo was so friggin tight; I still spent another several minutes freeing things up. As soon as I got everything apart, I immediately put the bearing back on the Yoyo half and screwed that sucker back together again!

Then… Out came the New bearing remover. Bearing tight as ever. What can this New tool do?

Well, you could use my smile as a Proto for a happy face sticker!

The YYR bearing removal tool literally made me feel like my intelligence increased just for being smart enough to buy it…

It does not do Everything. There are less expensive ways to remove a bearing. You can live 100 years successfully with ever owning this tool.

But what it does, it does with Awesome effectiveness!

3 thumbs up!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience YoyoDoc! I’m glad others have found its greatness nestled in a tiny package the same as I. Thanks for taking the time to write this down for us. :slight_smile: