Rebellion - Start The Riot!

I’m just gonna leave this here.

The Riot is a rockin’ addition to the Rebellion lineup. Reassuringly heavy while still nice and fast, I think it’s one of the best competition-oriented yoyos in the affordable price range. It’s also a great yoyo to mess around with, due to the center weight keeping it controlled instead of Draupnir-fast.

2 Likes

$150 isn’t the “affordable price range.”

#ranoffontheplug

is there a second pair of metal weight rings on the centered rim pair or are they just not covered with ano ??
seems interesting and resonable priced to me, but i don´t get the Rebellion thing at all. why do i need another brand to sell cheaper YoYos, when the cheaper brand gets back up into the high paid market and cannibalises my premium brand.

i know, that there are serious problems in the world and this one is not one of them, but for me this is too expensive for a rebellion and too cheap to be a YYR. Bad placed product which is presumably really great Player.

^ It’s still about $100 cheaper than the Draupnir, and this has two weight rings.

2 Pairs of weight rings.

And it’s not necessarily cheaper vs high end. They created the Rebellion line to differentiate their “Made in China” brand from the standard Yoyorecreation line. Yes, the majority of their “Made in China” yo-yos can be offered at cheaper prices, but a double ring bi-metal yo-yo is not cheap to make in any country. If they made the Start the Riot in Japan for the Yoyorecreation line I would expect to see a $300 price tag, not $150.

Very nice review. I enjoyed reading it and learning about a new yoyo.

Yeah. I was getting at $150 being cheap for a YYR bimetal.

The price point is interesting - most of the other Rebellion offerings are the same price on US sites as they are on Japanese sites, while YYR sells the Riot direct for a tad bit less (hope I don’t get in trouble for mentioning this!) Either way, I feel like they could have saved money by not putting in the second pair of steel rings, especially since they are small.

Would it make a big difference? If they dropped it down to $100, maybe. I think it’s worth the $140/150 either way. Looking at bimetals from other companies like CLYW, Yoyofactory, Recess, Axis, you have a good spread of price ranges in that range. I feel that none of them have gone for a competition-oriented, rim-weighted yoyo like this.

Also, I’m not too surprised that Rebellion yoyos are a tad bit more expensive than their non-Rebellion counterparts. Dread(G) and Gazer are both more expensive than you usually expect from full-aluminum yoyos machined in China.

affordable in comparison to yoyorecreation’s high end yoyos, sure; most yoyos are affordable when compared to yoyorecreation’s high end yoyos.

huh?

3 Likes

just accept it Ben. don’t question it. just forget about all the great yoyos these companies have made. it’s ok. shhhhhhhh. the Genesis doesn’t exist. shhhhhhhhhhhh…

This is what I get for replying on mobile without thinking it out!

IMO none of the other popular bimetal offerings out there in the $100-150 price range feel anything like the Riot. Now if we’re talking about monometals… I love the Dogma, and the Canon/Al Dream are also great.

Well… they might not feel the same, but you’d be hard-pressed to argue that the 2016 Superstar and Nightmare aren’t rim-weighted competition-oriented yoyos, though! That’s what they are to the core of their respective beings! Certainly more rim-weighted and competition-oriented than the Dogma you mentioned. (though I do love the Dogma).

1 Like

I think the 150 price tag isn’t too bad. There are 2 sets of weight rings on the Riot. That might drive up machining cost.