Need help with Fixed Axle

On the TMBR Irving I would spend time working on string tension and avoid any modifications to the axle. String tension is essential. The fixed axle tension is adjusted using the flying saucer/sleeping beauty across body loosens the string then away from the body on throw hand side tightens it back up. It takes a little while to break in a string for 1a. The sidewinder also works. I’ve noticed with some places like Mexico, Washington D.C. the humidity will cause the yo-yo to become more responsive. Good luck with the fixed axle and use 100% cotton. The snap start is fun. I had to watch Dale Myrberg for awhile to learn it.

The following is for the old school fixed axles - I would not use them on the TMBR Irving.

On the old fixed axles wax was used to smooth out the axle and increase sleep time. Then players would also use a thin strip of sand paper to roughen the axle back up occasionally. I haven’t ever needed to rough an axle back up. If the yo-yo hits the point of being to responsive I’ll switch to a new set. I only use the poly for 2a on the other fixed axles for 1a tricks it is always 100% cotton. I used poly on wood fixed axles for 2a at the 2015 Nats 2a, SRC, and BOCO State using old school techniques [i].

[/i]On poly and melting… Dazzling Dave melted one of my strings a few years back at Nats. In order to melt the string you really need to throw a bunch of around the worlds back to back. In 2a I only throw one or two atw and have never had a string melt during a show/contest.

The old fixed axles sold by Flores, Duncan, Cheerio, Royal, Russell always used 100% cotton.

1 Like