Weekend axle

I’m looking for my first bimetal & I’m finding the Weekend’s specs to be quite fitting to my style, but it has an 8mm axle. I’m honestly not sure how easy it is to strip the axle. I want an answer, please?

The answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0ycibYwSo

Very unlikely as long as you’re careful.

Never stripped an axle in my life (not even in the above experiment when I was being purposely careless and rough). I don’t really understand how one actually does go about stripping an axle in normal use…  :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would agree it’s extremely unlikely from my experience with my own yo-yos, but after fixing countless stripped yo-yos from customers (way more than you’d expect) i’m just not sure how they keep doing it…

The cause is primarily cross threading when putting back together. If it’s not cross threaded the probability is very small unless it is an extremely cheap grade of aluminum or poor machining resulting in oversized thread cutting in the shell.

That’s me right there! (Just once). It’s pretty hard to strip the axels of metal yoyos. The only one “I” have ever stripped was my octave and Yoyoexpert was nice enough to fix it for me (thanks again!).

Glad to help!

So how to prevent that?

How long was the axle of the YYR Triplet in your video?

You prevent cross threading by aligning the threads before you twist. It’s not hard.

I have had maybe 60+ yoyos come through my hands, and I have never stripped one, or have I ???..

But anyways, take the axle out and thread it into one half about 2-3 rotations, so that it is nice and set into the half. And then take the other side and line it up and screw it in so that the halves are parallel very slowly. Once enough threads are engaged you can screw it together without worry.

So how long are YYR axles?

How is that relevant to the discussion? The length makes no difference in aligning the threads.

Was responding to Gambit’s vid with a YYR in it.

The comment still stands. Axle length makes no difference in thread alignment.