Replay Pro unwilling to bind, is it me or the throw?

I can get it to bind about 20% of the time but its very spotty and I have to be very careful with my bind. All my other yoyo’s are fine, this includes a DV888, Orca, Bonfire, and Shutter.

I’m inclined to think its an issue with the yoyo, its been like it since I got it but I haven’t thrown it much as it arrived the same time as the Shutter and I prefered it. Do I just need to keep working at it to break in the response pads?

So… if you know for sure that you have solid binding technique, then you wouldn’t be asking the question. It would be obvious. And if you’re admitting that your binding technique is kinda shakey, then it’s going to be hard for any of us to tell you that it’s the yoyo or it’s the bind.

Unless the pads are defective, it’s probably you.

If the pads are spinning in their groove or are otherwise no good… then just put new pads in. :wink: Sometimes I’ve had a whole pad pop out without noticing. Did you lose a pad?

If you’re making any sort of order any time soon, just throw some CBC 19MM OD “slim” pads on the order… they’re not expensive and you’ll know if it’s just you or not. :slight_smile:

Good point Greg, I’m new to this and only learned to bind a month ago but do it consistently on all my other throws so I guess its definitely the Replay.

I just took it apart, both pads are there, they don’t spin/move on their own. I reassembled and just threw it and it took 5 attempts and a very loopy bind to get it to grab. I threw it again and I slowed the bind down to the point where I was letting it catch and climb up before releasing my pinch on the string and it slid off the bind.

FWIW, I ALWAYS hold the pinch on the bind. It’s just second nature. If you let the loop go around your forefinger you greatly improve your chances for a slipped bind. I have yoyos that I can’t even bind without a pinch.

Are you binding on the correct spin direction? Probably you’re fine if you can bind on your other yoyos, but I guess it is worth asking.

Don’t suppose you can show a video of the failed bind?

Have you been playing with it a lot? My Replay Pro (and I assume all) came with the red pads, which last almost no time. I wore mine out in about a week.

Mine has blue pads from the factory, and I just installed a thicker string to much better results. Its still not as good at binding as my other throws but its 100% better than before.
According to what I’ve read YYF is using white pads in almost all their yoyos stock, but the couple pics I’ve seen of the replay show a blue pad like the one I have. The red pads are supposed to have no break in time but wear out really quick.