Cloud string - A Comprehensive Review

Well, I am back again to talk about more yoyo stuff. This time the Ultra-Premium
===>CLOUD string<===. 8)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/invaderdust/IMG_0490_zpsaukug6qv.jpg

4$ for ONE single string. Why? I didn’t know but wanted to find out. After reading a few feedback posts about them I was very interested to feel them for myself. The bad part is that sadly, the only way to really understand these strings is to feel them yourself. I don’t know who makes them, but I hope they keep on doing it.
However I will do my best to convey what I have been able to glean from these things.

First thing about them, is that they are special. No way around it and no buts about it. There is simply nothing else like them (that I know of at least) on the market.

Lively, Bouncy, Springy, FAST, Tight, Whippy, Durable!!!
These are a few of the words that pop up at first thought of these bad boys.

Check out how the threads “poof” right after the knot. Never seen a yoyo string do that!
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/invaderdust/IMG_0489_zpsp9atygtq.jpg

After getting them out of their little baggie with modest sticker on the bag for branding, I went to unwind the end to put in on the bearing. . . MAN! These things are twisted up really tight as evident in the photos, they are twisted up with a fierceness! After struggling for a bit to split it open I was able to succeed and went on to find the next issue. Adjusting the length.
At first I thought they strings were too short, but found out that they need a good stretching. From rest to tension the string stretched several inches. I put a knot where I thought it should be based on my stretching the string during the initial setup but found it to still be a bit too long, even though it took a few days for the string to become too long. I had to move my knot back a solid inch (what I cut off and posted in the second pic) to get it just right.

As I threw the first throw I felt something I’d never felt before. All the other strings I used lost their bounce after a few throws so I never gave it much thought. After that they become static, rigid tethers. The Cloud strings are a different beast. They seemingly do not lose that bounce and keep the boingy vibes going strong. This gives the yoyo an uncharacteristic liveliness. A breath of new life into any throw.
I also noticed an increase in sleep time and nice tight binds.

Also, these lil guys LAST and last and laaaast. Here is a pic of the one single string that I’ve been using on every throw I’ve been throwing for over 7 days several hours a day. I just swap it over to what ever I’ll be throwing that day. Note the distinct lack of fraying, degrading, break down, or signs of wear period. If it gets dirty Ill wash it.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/invaderdust/IMG_0491_zpsaac5llol.jpg

There is another feature I’d like to bring up. The slacks are Excellent. Even though its a thinner string, its got a heft to it that allows it to stay open very well, move very fast through the air. So much so that you can literally hear the string whizzing through the air if you throw it hard enough. Seriously whippy!!
On the other hand, the tight tight tight twisting of the string means that the normal string tension that builds up naturally over time seems to happen a bit faster than other types. So you may need to re-check your cloud strings tension a bit more often than you may be used to.

This also leads directly to another problem I found.

Being so tight, there is little room for the strings to compress and allow the falling out of faux knots or being able to pull out tight twisted bits. Case in point would be something like a Double GT. That trick allows the string to create a faux knot that, given a swift tug on each side of the faux knot, it pulls right out like magic (at least thats what I am used to with my usual Toxic BG1 Yellow jackets) where as this does not happen with the Cloud string. You may find yourself picking out faux knots more than you might expect. Not a deal breaker but totally something to keep in mind.

How do they compare?
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/invaderdust/IMG_0492_zpscdfku81u.jpg

From right to left
Generic Bulk Poly
Happy Mountain - Yellow Snow
YYSL- Venom
YYSL- Type X
Toxic - Dragon
Kitty - Poly Normal
Kitty - Poly Fat
Toxic - Yellow Jackets
Cloud String

They are in a class of their own. They are tight but smooth. Quick and whippy. Thin yet heavy. Springy but not spongy. Expensive but long lasting.

Will EASILY outlast your typical 10 pack of cheaper strings, like kitty for example, which burns out way too fast for my liking personally. When the strings are being woven in your fingers during play, it feels smooth and gliding with minimal thermal buildup (string burns are less likely) and slick in the air travels. Some of the best slacks and fastest string throws of all of the strings Ive tried. So long as your tension is neutral, you’re golden.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PROS-
Fast
Slick
Very Long Lasting
Smooth
Excellent Slacks
Unique feel
Bouncy and it doesn’t lose its bounce over time
Heavy
Thin
Seemingly longer sleep times compared to fatter Yellow Jackets
Good Visibility
Blacklight Reactive
Makes the yoyo feel alive
Insane Acceleration

CONS-
Wound Too Tight (imho)
Difficult to open to put on bearing
Hard to measure correct initial length
Easily holds twists as a faux knot
Loses tension easier (faster) than others
Expensive

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Final Thoughts

Still with me? Thanks!!
Are these strings perfect? No. Are they outstanding? Absolutely!
Fantastic product especially built for pure performance. Just like a race car is stripped down and focused, so is this string. These will not be enjoyed by everyone, but I hope everyone gets a chance to use one at some time or another. They are just something that has to be felt to be believed.

TL/DR
Cloud strings are special, expensive, and unique. Forever bouncy, wicked fast whips, and last for ages.
Worth the price, without question.

1 Like

Looks similar to the material I use on my home made nylon, seeing how it frays. Just might have to buy one on my next purchase.

I thought about you and your “soapy” hand spun ones!

Are the Cloud strings also very slippery in the hands? My strings slide right through the fingers and friction burns are near impossible.

I use the same formula as AngryGumball, it seems! Very poofy, fluffy string. I also find that it’s near-impossible to get string burn, but the thread is harder to manage when you’re making it into string.

Yea, looking at the pic you posted, looks like the string could use more twisting as it kind of poofed out. At least that’s how it seems. I find that with this thread, you have to do a ton of twisting. A single thread, if given slack, appears to feather apart into really fine strands, looks almost like halloween cobwebs.

As far as how my version plays, the string moves fast in the air so I have to be ready to catch a slack, or whip the string much less as it doesn’t take much to get a whip going.

Dang, great review! Definitely gonna pick one or two of these up when they get restocked.

Update.These things are simply amazing. Still plays like it did the first day. I noticed some minor fraying and decided to swap out a new one, but Id bet I could easily put another 10+ hours on that first one. Simply amazing. Some of the best ever.
Do yourself a favor and try one. I did. then bought 10 more :wink:

Great review!

I guess I should probably try a couple of strings out, huh?

Update. This is the SAME string I first started using. #1. The one shown in the above pics as well. I have washed it once and while there is technically some fraying I feel safe in continuing using it and I still do. I have 3 cloud string in commission right now, but felt I should share this. Its been what, over 2 months now? Well take a peek.
Let the haters hate, let the trolls make jokes (oh wait, this isnt reddit)
Behold 25+ hours on ONE single Cloud stringhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/08/1ebcd28af79e680f062fc2892baff14b.jpg

That is awesome! And if they are ever in stock when I order something, I shall try one out :stuck_out_tongue:

That is pretty impressive, that string looks practically new.

Also, I thought it may have been a fluke or just excitement jitters, but I can confirm without a doubt that the thin cloud strings give me better and longer sleep times compared to my other favorite (Toxic YellowJackets, which are muuuch fatter in comparison)

Just a worthwhile note.

Dust, you’re talking about how great they are and I’m sitting here thinking to myself, “come on, YYE, restockrestockrestockrestock.”

Check yo 'box foo!

Got dat massaji

Are these long? Length wise? I prefer longer string :slight_smile: Thanks!

Hard to measure due to its stretchyness. I would say its more long than not. I usually have to cut off several inches and i like my strings a bit longer too.

Ditto on GREAT REVIEW!

1 Like

PSA- if you look in the right place, and stay quiet, you might find some of the slippery lil buggers restocked, but shhhh. I dont want em all gone by the time i get paid again. I need to re up (and i need to stop giving them away! haha)