New thrower's impressions, CLYW Orca special one-off

I have only gotten back into yoyo’s in the last couple months as my 9 year old son wanted to learn after finding an old Yomega Fireball in a drawer. I found this site and started learning and bought a few throws to see what I might like. My purchases up to this point were a DV888 quickly followed by a Shutter Premium bought mint from a fellow YYE member, and then a Replay Pro.

Everyone knows the history, read pro reviews of the throw comparing it to other CLYW models, etc. but this is from the perspective of an older guy, new to throwing, buying his first really high end yoyo.

It becomes obvious pretty quickly as you are on the forums more and more that CLYW is a premium brand and a really nice quality product. Every previous throw I had bought to this point helped me figure out what I preferred and helped to open the doors to new trick opportunity’s. The DV888 was great to learn a few different binds. The Shutter was great for helping learn trapeze, basic catches
from break aways, etc. Then the Replay Pro was almost useless honestly, nothing I wasn’t already experiencing with the other two, but it helped me realize the DV888 was simply too small and that I preferred something wider.

Last weekend when Caribou Lodge released the small quantity of throws in special “one-off” color jobs I figured I’d buy one to see if it was a big difference. It showed up today and was honestly an immediate, right out of the box, difference in play compared to the others. When I got the string length right and looped I threw 10 basic tricks right and it was flawless, my son flipped out. My first perfect finger grind was also in that mix of 10 tricks as the finish feels wonderful and on dry skin is slippery at speed. The weight isn’t really noticeable while in play and the action is pretty relaxed but still responsive when hitting the throttle on quick stuff.

The included string is excellent, the bearing is almost perfect, and the Snow Tire response is excellent with virtually no break-in. I love, love, love this thing and will buy more of the Caribou Lodge products for sure. Yeah the price is a premium but you are getting a premium product made in North America with a wonderful finish. I also like that I literally ordered the last one available the night of the one-off sale as I was a few minutes late getting to a laptop when they went up for sale.

Diameter: 55mm
Width: 44.1mm, feels wider than the number would sound lol
Weight: 67.38, doesn’t feel like it though
Response: Snow Tires, work excellent from the first throw
Bearing: CTX, super smooth and quiet out of the box
Box Art: Yuumi Shiga, my daughter says Harrison Lee dressed as a killer whale is super cute

So whats my advice for new throwers with the financial means to buy one of these and that are wondering if they should go from a $50 yoyo to one of these $135+ throws? Do it.

Nice review.

Beautiful colors as well.

I too have gotten into yoyos because of a youngster in the house. That’s why I now own over a dozen yoyos. It’s for her. :wink:

Great review. I picked up my first clyw, which was my bonfire, about 3 months ago and this is what I have picked up since then. Great brand you can always expect a quality throw from them. I think I might have a problem tho… :-\

I didnt think yoyos could cost so much. My brother is starting to see me practice alot recently and maybe if he gets interested in learning we can split the costs on this crazy yoyo adventure :slight_smile: