looking to change my breakaway throw

So i currently throw my breakaway like a front throw just turn my right arm and throw the yoyo out to the side with same form and point of leaving the hand as a front throw. When watching videos i see some players throwing it over there pointer finger. i was wondering if that is the way to get a stronger breakaway or is it just preference.

Just preference.

I found that I started the way you did. It felt easier and more natural. Over time without even thinking about it, I will do it the “turning a doorknob” orientation sometimes. For fun I even let the yoyo gently unroll an inch or two before “whipping” it sideways around the pointer finger.

My experience was that both “methods” came eventually without any particular effort or conscious decision. Once the yoyo starts to feel like a regular and comfortable extension of you, it could just sort of happen.

Not very useful advice other than to say: nothing wrong with what you’re doing now if it’s what’s comfortable and gets you a strong enough throw.

looking to get a stronger throw…even though not sure thats the issue i am having with spinning out mid tricks…might be more of an axis issue

Yeah, it’s probably more axis and string alignment. What yoyo are you using?

Regarding the throw, I was thinking about your question as I had a walk around the office for a little “throw break”. It turns out that when I do the “turning a doorknob” orientation, I often still have it go around my middle finger (where I have the string attached). But just around the side of it (right where it is attached to my finger) rather than over the tips of my finger.

It should be noted that I always use a “slipknot securing” technique. The one I favour for the past long while is called the “safety harness” (cred: Mason Devriend).

i use the slip knot as well. I have probably too many throws. the off axis happens more with some than others. northstar goes off axis more than say the shutter. Probably the key is more consistent throw. I guess just more practice

I think we all use slipknots, but I mean I always do something “extra” to keep them secure. A regular slipknot tends to spin around my finger when I do the “whipping” technique described above.

I had the toughest time throwing a break away when I decided one day to try it like I’m twisting a doorknob. It worked but found out that after each catch I had to reposition the yoyo. It’s hard to explain how I do it now, I guess it’s still like I’m twisting a door knob but I have my hand angled in such a way that the yoyo’s oriented normally in my hand rather than it being sideways like I originally did. My throws became much stronger since I found the technique that works for me.

The throwing over the pointer finger thing is just something that becomes a habit as it a string position that allows you to throw some slack tricks from.