Yo modders! I have a Dark Magic II response groove question

Have any of you modders deepened the response grooves on a DMII? I’ve measured, and the walls don’t seem to be thick enough, which surprised me because the walls on the OG DM were definitely thick enough to cut a groove deep enough for silicone.

In any event, has anyone tried? Thanks!

Have you just tried silicone in the existing groove? Seems to me people were doing that with the legacy o-ring models. It’s the same size as the earlier yoyos. I know silicone holds up well in a couple of my Journeys (I think you gave me one of them).

The recesses on the Journey, Hitman, Lyn Fury, Kickside, etc. are all more than twice as deep as the Dark Magic II, which uses those newfangled slim pads all the kiddies are wild about and that you find on so many yoyos. My experience with siliconing yoyos with the slim pad depth recess is that the sili has a tendency to rip out.

take a piece of sandpaper and grind down the inside of the brake area to give it a rough feeling and then put the silicone in… it should stay in better…

Oh, ok. I thought they were the same and that those pads were interchangeable with o-rings though I never tried.

@jhb - unfortunately they aren’t. And to be fair, the upside to the shallower recess is the possibility of a thinner section of wall behind the recess, thereby reducing a smidgen weight from the center. Frankly, though, I’d rather have the extra gram of weight in the center and not have to mess with buying or making pads …

@alecto - That’d certainly help. But since I have a lathe on hand and it’s no problem for me to deepen the recesses if the walls will stand it, there’s no reason not to cut if anyone can confirm for me that there’s enough wiggle room to do so.

ask scootermcgavin… he would know…

the best modder that still loves us on this forum…

The walls feel fairly thin as it is, I wouldn’t recess it anymore. The recess is deep enough for silicone, flowable won’t work too well since it is not nearly as long lasting as permatex gasket maker.

[quote=“yoyospirit,post:8,topic:78763”]
Even the permatex gasket maker has a tendency to pop out in my experience.

That’s my hunch as well, but I figured I’d ask to see if anyone had succeeded.

Anywho, thanks everyone!