Dead Friction Sticker

Hey, does anyone have a dead Duncan friction sticker?
I’m looking for one for my No Jive.

I don’t use them and I could get a new one, but my understanding is that it needs to be a dead one.

If not, does anyone have suggestions for something I could use in it’s place?

I use Duncan 12mm silicone stickers.  They can be used new.

1 Like

Thanks man!
I was looking though the MegaThreadofAwesomeness and you had some pretty good vids by the way.
Nice stuff!

1 Like

Oh I forgot to ask, do you use those just on No Jives, or TMBRs also?

I use them on TMBRs, too.

1 Like

When you put the friction sticker on the TMBR, do you add the o-ring to make the gap bigger too, or just slap a sticker on there and go for it?

I usually don’t shim my TMBRs and just use the stickers to make the response a little more snappy.

1 Like

So I’m a bit curious…has anyone ever “drilled” dimples into a No Jive to make it more responsive? I suspect the factory does not do it because, for one reason, a “3 in 1” would become a “1 in 1”. But I know TMBR dimples their yoyos and the Hildy Brothers Emmitt is even dimpled. I’m just wondering if someone has ever tried it and what was the result.

Out does that too. I havn’t been throwing long but I can’t tell how much it helps.

Ok, so I came up with an alternative to buying friction pads. I went to The drug store and bought a roll of cloth tape. Then I found a washer with a 3/4 outer diameter and a 5/16 inner diameter. After cleaning the washer well, I took some of the tape and stuck it to the washer. I used an Exacto knife to cut out the inside and outside along the washer edges. Then I peeled off the tape and stuck it in my No-Jive. It definitely makes the Yoyo more responsive. I have no idea how long these pads will last, or how they will behave over time, but it seems to be a super-cheap alternative to friction pads. Also, if I injure myself with a yoyo, I have tape for the bandage. Win-win.

Using tape as replacement pads was quite common at one time. How long it lasts is somewhat dependent on the tape. It was an alternative to duncan friction stickers when they were pretty much the only game in town. TK sells a similar product. Basically a cloth tape with a light adhesive. They are marketed primarily for the TK bearing yoyos but work in all of them.

Turbo Discs

Frankly I’ve never felt a need for them in a fixed axle.

Typically, I would agree, because I would just tighten the string to get the response I wanted.
But, I like a snappy response and that can be hard with neutral string tension, which is a must if you are practicing kickflips.

Not that it makes a huge difference since my success rate on kickflips is pretty low.

Just drill four dimples on each side much like Tmbr’s response setup. Perfection after that, I do all mine this way and they play perfect!