How Do You Remove Paint From Aluminum Yoyo? (The results are in!)

I was wondering how to remove the paint from a yoyorecreation yoyo (7075)? I just bought a yoyorecreation Stargazer V2 from Swatnoodle (great seller by the way) on the B/S/T forums. It had 3A marks on it (none that affected the metal) and therefore I wanted to remove the paint so that it would be shiny. I have polishing cloths but that’s it. I was thinking maybe one of you guys had an idea?

Here is something worth checking out:

Here we see a guy using some “magic liquid” to make the yoyo raw. What liquid was used? I have yoyo playing skills but not a bit of modification or maintenance skills.  ??? If someone can help me it would mean a lot.

I hope this link will not just help myself but also other players in the future! Keep up the great work my fellow throwers! Lets THROW ON!!!  ;D

The results are in, check it out!

I used Easy Off. It worked just fine. I will polish it a show you guys the final results tomorrow!

Yoyos are mostly anodized, not painted, therefore you need anodize stripper, not paint stripper.
In the video it’s some kind of cleaner that supposedly has NaOH or some sort, I’ve heard oven cleaner does similar job, but I personally have used the solid NaOH with water (warning: NaOH/caustic soda/lye is very dangerous, it can literally melt your skin, don’t even start with what will happen if you got even one drop in the eye).
I’d say, unless you know the risks, forget it or send it to someone who knows what they are doing.
You can, however use sandpaper and a drill, but it’s still risky because you may end up having a vibey yoyo.

2 Likes

I found the best cleanest/easiest ano remover! OVEN CLEANER!! :smiley: just let soak for 15 minutes!

So what type of oven cleaner are you using?

just generic chemical based should work!

Alright then. I still am unsure of what to do…

I think the best way to approach the situation is to test first. I have a Magic Yoyo T5 Overlord that I can test on. I will try it first with oven cleaner. I will a have results within the next few days to shows guys. Perhaps we can make some science out of this! ;D

A common brand in the US is Easy-Off (yellow can).

http://www.easyoff.us/ovencleanersolutionsfinder_heavyduty.html?&&gclid=CJ-y_ID4pckCFZOCaQod1fICLQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Alright. Tomorrow I will test easy-off, I will show you all the results for tomorrow! :smiley:

Last time I tried stripping ano off a yoyo using chemicals I absolutely wrecked it and had to throw it away. Apparently the drain cleaner was a bit too strong and started eating away the aluminium as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

In to see the results.

Not gonna lie, you are scaring me. No problem though, I decided I would only test the inner cup to remove paint. Also I am using oven cleaner, not drain cleaner. :slight_smile:

I just coat the bearing seat area in silicone and dip them in naoh for like 1 minute or less

The results are in! It sure worked. Check the main message for pictures! :smiley:

Glad it worked out for you!