Are Unresponsive Throws Really "Yoyos"?

So if we put a yoyo in a closed box with a timed capsule (we don’t know how much time is on it) that will make the yoyo cease to exist, then we could say it is simultaneously a yoyo and not a yoyo, invalidating all of the definitions here.

If a boomerang is properly made, there is no 'wont come back. It may not come back. But could be either weather conditions or simply the inability of the thrower to properly execute a correct throw.

Any resulting failure on the part of the thrower has zero to do with the name of the item.

It remains a boomerang whether it comes back or not.

1 Like

When I was younger and was messing with fireballs that became unresponsive (at the time unresponsive meant it was time to lube it up), I jokingly would call it a “yo” since it only worked half-way.

In my opinion, I’d still classify these as yoyos. They’re still spools that unwind and return with its momentum it is carrying ready to be thrown again, It’s just a different technique where rather than tugging the string (that causes a bind), you’re manually causing the bind to happen by forcing the string into the gap yourself.

“A spoollike toy consisting of two thick wooden, plastic, or metal disks connected by a dowel pin in the center to which a string is attached, one end being looped around the player’s finger so that the toy can be spun out and reeled in by wrist motion."

Do not overthink something basic. In a bind you do still move your wrist in a motion. The same applies for a finger spin return, single-hand bind, etc. For instance look at the sky bind, unless you have very tight response pads you still have to move your wrist in order to get he yoyo to return.

However you did get me thinking… Is 4A (off-string) really considered yo-yoing? It seems to be in its own class of throwing. Without doubt it is the odd one in the group. Lets look back to what you said:
"A spoollike toy consisting of two thick wooden, plastic, or metal disks connected by a dowel pin in the center to which a string is attached, one end being looped around the player’s finger so that the toy can be spun out and reeled in by wrist motion.

Lets let that simmer… :o
I want to hear your opinions my fellow throwers! :smiley:

Schrodingers Yoyo…

I think the issue lies with the definition here, rather than the defined. The modern yoyo evolved relatively recently and Webster hasn’t yet noticed that it’s gone AWOL.

As something evolves, it becomes harder to pin a definition on it. “Human” was mentioned and it’s a perfect example; almost any definition of human is forced to contain the word “human,” because any conceivable attempt at a more specific definition is going to prompt a thousand exceptions.

Interesting topic though. Maybe modern yoyos needs a new, more specific word, like “automobile” versus the broader “car.” You’d probably look like a snob to people if you tried calling your yoyo a “gyrowhatsit” or whatever in public though.

And what if the shape of a boomerang is such that it doesn’t come back? (Like an unresponsive yoyo)? Should we still call it a boomerang then?

It comes back eventually…

#trivial

I remember when I didn’t want to switch from responsive to unresponsive play (like a baby that won’t give up the bottle for a sippy cup), I spent a few weeks there convincing myself unresponsive yoyos weren’t real yoyos anyway.

At worst, you could call an unresponsive yoyo a yo … yo. They’re yoyos.

A definition of automobile is "a self-propelled passenger vehicle that usually has four wheels and an internal-combustion engine, used for land transport.

I drive a stick shift car. It is not “self propelled”. An automatic transmission might idle and move the car slowly on its own, but my car will not. I have to interact with the car for it to move and satisfy the “land transport” portion of the definition. That’s why they call it a manual car. But it’s still a car.

An unresponsive yoyo is like a manual yoyo. But it’s still a yoyo. Standard definitions need to be updated. Notice the mention of an internal-combustion engine above. Elon Musk might have something to say about that. Tell your friend it’s the 21st century, man!

since virtually any yo-yo can be set up to be either responsive or unresponsive, i feel like the issue is kind of moot. and i’ve never been observed by someone (except maybe very young children) who didn’t understand that what i was playing with was a “yo-yo”, regardless of how it responded.

maybe doc pop’s “retro-winding double-knobbed toy” is a more appropriate term for use in more literal company.

In my opinion, pretty much! But it’s up to you what you wanna call it. :wink:

I’m going to call them whirli gigs.

yes, yes they are.

Is it still a yoyo when your string snaps? :wink:

1 Like

No, it becomes a dangerous projectile.

If we give unresponsive yoyos a whole different name, then i think it would be a lot more complicated to explain to non-yoyoers what they are…

I stand with Mike on this one. The analogy of automatic and manual cars is spot on!

Suppose you ask merriam webster what electricity is, and then ben franklin. Who would you trust?

So based on all this abstract reasoning then illogical minds would indicate that: bearings that fail are no longer bearings and strings that break are no longer strings and axles that snap are no longer axles?

I have an alternate name for people that use convoluted reasoning to generate threads with no valid substance other than banter. But following Board policy, I am not allowed to use certain accurately descriptive words to identify that type of disfunctional grey matter.

So the family friendly word would be ‘Jello’.

2 Likes