Specs:

Diameter: 56.15 mm
Width: 45.45 mm
Weight: 65.95 grams

One Drop 19 mm Flow Groove
CBC Center Trac Bearing

http://i.imgur.com/SRmK2Yc.jpg

Out of the Box:

When I first opened up the box I noticed that the yoyo came wrapped in news paper. What a cool thing! And a heck of a way to recycle! The yoyo was strung with an Ammo from YYST (Dan’s string of choice). The box is simple and classy with an Alter Ego sticker and one with the specs of the yoyo.

http://i.imgur.com/bFQbBdv.jpg

Look and Feel:

In the hand this yoyo feels and looks great. It fits nice in the hand. Feels similar to the Prodigy (which it was based off of) but at the same time new and refreshing. The stepped V shape is very visual appealing. Where the Prodigy was a bit more H shaped this guy is a tad more of a step V. The yoyo was machined at One Drop and has their signature Pyramatte tumble. My test yoyo is in the “Ride Home” colorway. The colorways on the Alter Ego are all very well done and compare with One Drop, CLYW and other high end companies.

Play:

This yoyo is a joy to play! IMHO it is miles above the Prodigy. The weight distribution is more towards the rim and less in the center. This helps the yoyo play both lighter and zippier. The yoyo moves very well and has that “This yoyo plays itself” feel to it. The spin time rivals any yoyo I have ever played (other than the Citizen). I can go through my longest combo and still have plenty of spin for a nice bind! And yes this yoyo is dead smooth… One Drop quality!!!

One thing I really like about the Alter Ego is how it does not play like this yoyo or that yoyo it really has it’s own personality. Both Nick and Dan really wanted this yoyo to be it’s own thing… Not a Prodigy 2 but whole new yoyo. They did just that!

The stability is great. I have never had a problem with the yoyo tilting or going “off plane” on me. One of the things I keep noticing is the fun factor. This yoyo is a TON of fun to play. I never want to put it down… It just is one of those yoyos that you keep coming back too.

Overall Feeling:

As you can probably assume… Yea I like this yoyo. IMHO it is the best yoyo to come out of Spin Dynamics… EVER! If I had one critique I would say that the gap is a tad too big. I tend to prefer a smaller gap but that’s just my old school side coming out.

Thanks for reading!!

Here are a few more shots. One with a Chief and the other with a Valor.

http://i.imgur.com/yvlmUGj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dD86TtL.jpg

1 Like

I am in love with my alter ego…

it just plays so well. I haven’t really thrown my other yoyos since picking it up at the new york yoyo slam.
The finish on the yoyos is very well done and gives itself greatly to finger spinning. Im able to do hand grinding combos with ease on the alter ego.

I am always a bit disappoint with pyramatte compared to a “real” blast, but you can definitely still grind it.

Everything else about this yoyo looks to be extra-legit. I finally settled on a colourway (went for Big and Bad, the Bruins colourway!) so mine should arrive in the amount of time it takes the US to ship to Canada. :wink: AKA not holding my breath, but it’s not years away or anything.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, mgiroux77!

I wholeheartedly agree with what both mgiroux77 and alecto have said. I have an Alter Ego in ‘Space Jam’ colorway, and it is a super fun throw. I was impressed by YYSL Ammo being the ‘stock’ string, and while I like Ammo, my favorite string is YYSL Type X. I haven’t found anything the Alter Ego doesn’t do (aside from hit my tricks for me), I can’t horizontal to save my life, nor can I really fingerspin, but, I see the kids at yoyo school doing both of these on the Alter Ego.

Speaking of the smoothness, I’m happy mine is a splash colorway, as it is so smooth that I hardly know it is spinning. Really an amazing offering from Spin Dynamics. Combined, my family owns at least one of each of the Spin Dynamics yoyos, I really like that Nick and Dan seem to want to ‘mix it up’ design wise, as none of their yoyos follow a pattern (aside from the helicoil axle threads).

GregP, you won’t be disappointed by the Alter Ego. I hope that Canadian Customs doesn’t hold it for too long.

1 Like

love dat review and i wish i could afford one eh i got my bassacuda on the way so yea

Thanks for the kind words everyone!! I don’t review a lot of yoyo’s but when I do I really enjoy doing it!!

Greg I can’t wait to see what you think of it when you get yours!!

Now even I want to buy one :wink:

^how would that work, would you just pay Nick? :smile:

Seriously, the Alter Ego is an amazing yoyo. I’ve yet to throw a Spin Dynamics yoyo I didn’t like. If only they were a replacement for the amount of practice that Dietz (or Kapinos or Munson or any of the SD tea puts in).

Glad you guys have been liking this throw! A lot of love went into the design. I’ve found it difficult in the past to go with extreme rim weight on a design and still get the yo-yo to dance and float on the string. The AE has no trouble :slight_smile: Picked up my Prodigy the other day too. Completely different feel than the Alter Ego, but still love it. The AE design is just more refined and better prepared to handle all the latest stage tricks. I consider it our best work yet