Video Camera

Hi,
With Black Friday coming up, I was looking for a new video camera. I want it to be cheap. I want it to be able to film stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_pRiP5SkU
Anny suggestions would be great!
Thanks

Well these guys normally use DSLRs. That’s why the quality is so great and allows you to do many different things with it. But most new cameras will provide good footage. Gopros have great footage but only shoot in wide angle. Most point and shoot cameras will have a video mode that will be more than enough. Don’t know what cheap is to you but as a photographer, you get what you pay for. Good cheap DSLRs can be as low as 500(not sure if these lower end DSLRs have video ability) and point and shoots can be cheaper. So it really depends what you want to do.

This. Piotrek uses a Canon 600D for most of his videos, and they’re pretty much the best quality videos out there, so it shows you don’t need a stupidly expensive camera to get great footage. :slight_smile:

the thing is they are also using a very good image editor with a good filter… most cameras don’t shoot that quality there is alot of editing behind the videos…

yes. But videos shot with a DSLR(I believe one drops camera men use DSLRs. I know Paul carries one around)and that needs very little editing other than trimming and panning. If its going to be a hobby and something you’ll end up loving, DSLR all the way. If you’re just doing it and don’t really care for the best quality, point and shoot. Point and shoots will run you a couple hundred at most and still have high quality footage. Just make sure it’s high in mp and shoots more fps. The more mp(megapixels) the crisp the image. Higher fps(frames per second) the smoother and cleaner the videos will play(really how’s when you do slow motion).

Ah of course, I’m not implying that anyone with a Canon 600D can make Piotrek style videos. I used a 600D for all my filming, but it doesn’t look nearly as good as when he does it. Post production is very important to a good looking video. :-X

[quote=“Heero,post:5,topic:77864”]
True but only when played in slow motion. At normal speed anything beyond 30fps starts looking a bit uncanny. If you go on youtube and watch CLYW’s latest “Caribous Rendevous” video you can view it in 60fps and it just looks weird. Makes me feel motion sick actually. :stuck_out_tongue:

the reason why it makes you motion sick is not because its a bad fps. 60 fps is alot better for you then the 30 to 45 fps that we have been fed most of our lives by the film industry. In reality 30-45 fps is quite choppy but because our brains are so powerful we can piece together the frames as fast and faster then the video is giving them to us. 60 fps sends frames faster making it look more and more fluid and much like how we see things in real life. You mind isn’t used to seeing frames these high in highquality videos so it tries to formulate what it does with the 30fps and in the end you get the motion sick feeling.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL5kOyHWI_E

this video describes why 60fps and higher is good in video games and other things about fps.

ive run games at lower then 30fps actually more around 15 to 6 fps and if you think the 60fps is uncanny try watching the individual frames move a few pixels at a time.

now back to the camera the dslr is a very good camera for taking video but you must have a good computer and a good image editor to get high quality video like that one. Its not easy to do and its quite expensive.

If you take a look at the average gopro video then the official gopro videos you can see the difference between the different image editing software. most gopro videos can look a bit granny if they aren’t handled well and its because most people just slap them into a video editor, slice it up and say thats good enough for youtube. The official gopro videos someone probably spent a few days going over the video adding a filter and also correcting glare adding color, and making sure the overall video has a professional look.

Not saying this can’t be done, im just saying before you say ooh i want a camera that shoots video like that you have to realize NO camera ever made shoots video like that. You have to edit the video to get it anything close to that kind of quality.

thank you. Saves me the time of explaining.

There’s no need to have that high of quality footage but its nice. I use my iPhone 4S to film cause its not for my portfolio or anything. And also cause I’m lazy and don’t feel like taking all my gear out just to film a short video. But when I want to make a real video, lighting, stands, multiple angles and extensive editing go into the production.

Cell phone, point and shoot, gopro are all adequate enough. But if you’re goin to get serious about it, a decent DSLR is worth it in the long run.

the iphone 6 has one of the best cellphone cameras ive seen before its even better then my actual camera as much as it pains me to say that. The new galaxy also has a really good camera and those would be cheaper then buying a new camera and you wouldn’t have to use it for a regular cellphone…

iPhone 6 just came in today ;D SO. FREAKING. NICE! Had my iPhone 4s for almost 4 years.

Hey OP. Walmarts blackfriday has a point and shoot Nikon for 46 bucks. 16 mp. 720p. That’s a steal.

Also a cannon powershot for 100. Same. 16mp 720p but had a much better zoom. A powershot is like a point and shoot/dslr hybrid. So that’s a good option as well. Bang for your buck. I’m even considering that Nikon for on the go fun.

What about good editing software’s? I’ve used Filmora, Windows mokie maker, and IMovie. Been looking at Final Cut Pro, but unsure on how it is.

Sorry, but I’m bit of a beginner; as in I don’t make video’s that often :stuck_out_tongue:

Final cut is a great program. It will allow you to do whatever you want to do and stuff you never need to do. Movie maker and iMovie will be enough to get by. Won’t have every feature that others may want but if you’re looking to put clips together, add music, edit, which is really all you need for a good video, that will be more than enough.

Adobe premier elements is good as well, it has a few more options than the windows movie maker and things like such as a color adjustment feature, and rendering option.

I just realized my dad owns a 5,000$ camera. Lol
My brother says I can use his for future videos because it is not as expensive(1,000$) so I do not have to worry about breaking it.

Sony FS7 anyone? 8)