is the yeti really that great of a yoyo or is it over hyped? ?

Is the yeti all that people make it out to be. Is it one of the best plastics out there or is there better and the price on them used is so high and in demand that people pay double the price than they originally cost. Or sold i even try to get one Monday on the last release of them need feedback please. Oh and if possible give some comparisons to other yoyos thanks

I personally don’t take the Yeti too seriously. Not saying to not get it as it’s quite a unique throw. I’d say it’s worth its retail price tag, wouldn’t pay anymore for it.

2 Likes

Thanks angry gumball it seems over played kinda i want one then i don’t lol. I have protostar,northstar,one,onestar,replay pro ,ect and quite a few other plastics but i should prob get a budget metal instead of the yeti still considering the quash or orbis oh nice mask btw kinda creepy man

It’s both. If you can get it at retail, buy it. Otherwise let it go!

I’d agree. It’s worth retail. There are definitely issues with the Yeti, in terms of how it can eat strings. But, I got one that doesn’t eat strings, and it had established itself as A) the best plastic I’ve played, and B) one of the throws I’ll never get rid of.

It can be over-hyped in the sense that people say it’s the best plastic ever, hands down, no questions, absolutely, period.

BUT.

It has its drawbacks.

When buying a Yeti, you need to be prepared to put in some work in order to make it play nicely. It might play perfectly put of the box like mine did. But on the other hand, it might eat some strings at first, in which case you’ll need to take some sandpaper to it, which might be scary. But the Yeti is just one of those throws that may need some TLC. I mean, I bought a Bape.2 that ate strings like mad for $150, but I put a little work in and now it plays perfectly and is sentimental to me.

Long story short, it’s a great plastic if you’re lucky, or are willing to put in a little work. Don’t let it be over-hyped. When they’re in top form, they deserve the praise. But the method of their construction is prone to drawbacks, which require effort to make them good. I dunno. Take my advice or leave it. Up to you.

Who wants to buy a yoyo that ‘needs a little work’.

Stuff that. I want it working properly out of the box.

On principle, I agree. We pay good money for throws, we should get good product.

But for myself, personally, I don’t mind tinkering. That’s the kind of mind I have. I tinker with my throws regardless. I read about the Bape.2 having issues, but I took it on as a challenge, and its one of my favorites as a result.

If somebody isn’t prepared to tinker with the Yeti, I absolutely discourage them from buying one. That being said, there’s a chance of getting one that’s great (like I did), or you might need to tinker with it a bit.

But, if you’re willing to tinker with one, or if you get lucky, you’re going to have one of the best plastics out there.

I’m not a shill for CLYW, I just recognize the potential that the Yeti has. You can get lucky and get get a good one. Or you can get unlucky and get one that eats strings, but work on it and make it into a great plastic. Or, you can get unlucky and get one that eats strings, and blame the company who produced it, even though they warned you about it.

It’s really up to the person buying it.

More fun than good. Its not bad, but its super fun. Thats important.

1 Like

Questions like this are always a matter of opinion. I like the Yeti, so if you’re considering buying one Monday, I’d certainly recommend it.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/323/20070976186_d2f0135968_z.jpgYetifamily3 by Total Artist, on Flickr

I personally think it’s the best all-plastic yoyo out there. Plays as close to a metal as any full-plastic that I’ve tried, and the look, material, and feel is pretty unique compared to other plastics on the market. I love mine and play it regularly. :slight_smile:

Still, if nobody else is buying one it just increases my chances of bagging another on the next drop, so I dont really mind if it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. :wink:

I think the yeti’s play is very unique but If I could only have one plastic I would take the replay pro over it any day! :wink:

get a orbis i love mine over my modded valor with hubstacks

You buy the Yeti because it’s a super fun and unique yoyo, not because it’s the “best” plastic out there.

1 Like

As most have mentioned, the Yeti is a very unique throw. It has a unique design and feel for a plastic. It also has a distinctively CLYW feel, making it a must-have for CLYW fans and collectors. It is definitely worth $45, if you’re looking for a unique plastic experience.

That said, I don’t think it is the best plastic out there. If I were only going to buy one plastic, it would be the One Drop Rally. It truly has the feel and performance of a metal in my opinion. If you want to save a few bucks the YYR diffusion is excellent as well.

When the Yeti came out it was a much more compelling purchase at $45. That was before there were so many really good metals available for $40-60. I think the shutter was pretty new at that time. For the same price YYF offers several excellent budget throws. For a few more bucks the One Drop Benchmark series is also excellent. I also love the stuff that C3yoyodesign makes. I think they are completely underrated. They make some really great budget throws.

i really like mine. a lot. mines a first run black that is butter smooth despite the abuse i give it. mine used to cut stings if i left an old string in tool long but some 600 grit took care of that and it hasn’t snapped one since.

i might pick up another tonight ifi can

I think the Yeti is one of the best plastics out there, but it is WAY overhyped.

That said, I don’t think it is the best plastic out there. If I were only going to buy one plastic, it would be the One Drop Rally. It truly has the feel and performance of a metal in my opinion. If you want to save a few bucks the YYR diffusion is excellent as well.
[/quote]
If you were only going to buy one plastic and you bought a Rally…You still wouldn’t have a plastic because the Rally is a hybrid (made from metal and plastic) -not a plastic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the input i finally put my gift card to good use i got a purple and a blue yeti in the final drop can’t wait to finally see what everyone loves about them :slight_smile:

Isn’t that same way with every single yoyo?

It seems the yeti sold out crazy fast at both releases. Maybe I will find someone at yoyo school to let me try one :slight_smile: