Impressive Intermediate Tricks?

As a lot of the others said, Vector and Rancid Milk are both impressive, but may be a little advanced to call them intermediate. I will say that Vector was a trick I learned early on to work on throwing slack around, and was really helpful.

Further advice: If you like Branding, look up Underwater Basket Weaving. There’s a few elements that are similar to Branding, but it’s a little more impressive with the slack at the beginning, especially when you get it down so that you can flow through it quickly.

Last note: Gondola is an awesome trick. I like using it in combos. One really cool way to use it is when you pop it out at the end, throw it like an Asian Pop, land it back into a Trapeze, and then move to a new trick. I’ve been throwing Gondola into an Asian Pop, then straight into Vector. It’s pretty epic. :wink:

Great idea… I need to try this!

Non-yoers seem to really like Gyro Flops, and they can be used to change spin direction, and transition into off-axis.

What about Spirit Bomb? Or, does that fall into the “everybody suggests that” category?

Seasick and PopnFresh are really cool looking tricks, but for me they’re difficult. Seasick is anyway, haven’t worked on PopnFresh much, but I think I will.

Pop’n’Fresh took me a while to get, but I had a friend that learned it as one of his first tricks. I can see how it’s squarely in the “Intermediate” category.

Seasick is fairly universally regarded as a difficult trick, though.

Here’s a couple that I picked up (and had done breakdowns for).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGd5b83oFVc
This one was learned from when Gambit had his Garden video up. I liked the trick and decided to slow his video down and see what exactly he did. I don’t think it has an actual name so I dubbed it the “Gambit GT”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ4JhDTcglc
Turbo Encabulator’s a fun one but it can be tricky.

2 Likes

I think Zipper is another definitely intermediate (YYE has it as “Advanced”) trick that is cool to watch, because there is a lot of movement, and it’s a repeater. I also like to do it with some variations, and I use my first two NTH fingers instead of my first finger and thumb to facilitate this.

One thing I do is start with Plastic Whip; which is another not too hard trick. It’s cool, because it looks like magic to the uninitiated. Then I use a Reverse Ripcord to get into the Brain Twister mount. Another thing you can do is keep your NTH high while landing back onto Brain Twister, and throw in a couple of Boomerangs.

That Turbo Encabulator looks so cool!

This one was really fun to learn.

I’ve been learning so many tricks from this thread.  Maybe I should contribute one.

I really enjoy doing Zammy’s “Like A Boss”  It’s a slack trick where the slack loop spins horizontally around a vertical string.  When you’re learning it you’ll miss catching the slack a lot and it will throw a GT knot around your bearing.  The same thing will happen if you don’t dismount with enough force.  But it’s a cool trick that looks really good.

Another tip is to really throw the slack loop towards yourself with some force.  Also, just as he’s throwing the slack the yoyo goes out of frame.  He’s not doing a jump or anything, the “hop” as he’s doing the slack throw is just there to take the weight of the yoyo off of the string so it doesn’t tighten up as the slack happens.

[quote=“Morgoroth,post:1,topic:77382”]
I guess I’m slow, but it’s finally sinking through my thick skull that my suggestions are probably in that same vein.

I have created my own tricks that are probably in the ball park of difficulty, and are different than what I’ve seen. Maybe this thread will help push me to document them. Hopefully some will find them worth learning…

Turbo Encabulator is fun.
It’s not clean yet, but I likes it.

Kevinm also suggested this

1 Like

THAT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a very cool trick.

And I also really like that bind at the end. Thanks for sharing.

It was all KevinM’s idea. And yeah, the bind at the end is cool.

Great idea

Morogorth, any chance you can compile the suggestions and put them in your FIRST message as an edit? Then we can build on it. Just the trick name and link.

Fred’s Special fits the bill as a good looking trick, not too hard.

I like this thread, it’s what many of us need to save time.

EDIT : Candy Rain if not already mentioned. The first Magic Drop portion can be modified to any trap/bro if too hard, and carry on from there… Candy Rain is a fantastic trick, and not too hard compared to many others.

Edit:
I got you fam.

I put a list in the first post, if people want me to add to it I can.
I did not include links because they are easily googleable and because it would make the post really long.

Happy…

My favorite thread ever…

This is a good thread for intermediates, so…

Just because many need to get more flow, and it’s easy to achieve with this “practice exercise”

Brett was awesome for us less gifted players.
[b]
Edit: Morograth,  since this is your thread, I think it will be for you to decide if the trick is appropriate for the list. Guidelines?

Basically not TOO difficult. A trick like breath is probably too hard (haven’t even tried yet) but ripcord is a beginner trick. In my mind Candy Rain is a good benchmark, or Underwater Basket weaving. A bit challenging, but not to the point of losing sleep over it![/b]

The problem is players have different ability levels, what I found challenging, you might have found easy!  Oh yes, a trick that’s not too hard, but has the factor x of coolness, deserves it’s place on the list.

I put it on the list.

You’re right, it is hard to figure out what trick is next because skills vary so much.
Thanks for digging the thread!  I’m glad you like it.

I’ll add these two in case you’re looking for some more tricks :smiley:

And this is one I learned early on, but for some reason isn’t in this thread yet.

1 Like

I just learned this one!

That’s such a great trick!

^ MDP is one of my all time favorites.
I like Dr. Strange as an intermediate cool looking trick, but most tricks are impressive to me. A less popular
(no pun intended) trick that has a similar quirky look to it is Timey,

2 Likes