Binding on slack ninja vanish

I’m trying to get the trapeze and his brother slack to ninja vanish trick down (see second half of the video below), and my yoyo keeps binding up and smashing my knuckles.  It seems to bind when I pop the yoyo up to attempt the ninja vanish.  Even if I successfully hit the ninja vanish part of the trick, the yoyo will bind up and freeze on the string.  Any tips as to what I’m doing wrong?

Same. I still can’t get it all the time, but I noticed that when it binds, its usually because I try to pop the yoyo up when I try to ninja vanish. I still don’t know what’s the proper way to do it.

This is commonly caused by a slightly responsive yoyo.

If you throw a hard sleeper, and just tug on the string to hop it into the air a bit, does the string start to “chase” around the bearing?

After the brother slack, the “loop” of string around your throwhand finger is on exactly the correct side for a bind. With a bit of responsiveness, the yoyo will suck that loop right in and BLAMMO, bind!

However, if the yoyo’s perfectly unresponsive, the next thing to do is just concentrate extra on being clean. When you release the loop and hop the yoyo up for the ninja vanish, make sure that the loop isn’t going over the top of the bearing. It should be towards the throwhand side of the bearing and the ninja vanish motion should get rid of it as a “loop” right away.

As usual, Greg is right. This happens to me right after I oil the bearing and it’s still the tiniest bit responsive.

When you’re throwing the brother slack over and grabbing it and whipping it into ninja vanish. You should try to do the throw grab and whip in the same motion. The string wont grab. In a sense try doing it more cleaner

Thanks, everyone. I’ve found that in addition to the tips here, it helps if I throw the ‘brother’ portion of the trapeze such that the loop formed is very small. In other words, land the ‘brother’ very close to my throw hand. This minimizes the loop that’s dropped and reduces the binding I was getting. I can’t throw it too close, however, or else I can’t seem to get the slack to behave properly.