Just stop already... (a yoyo rant)

Something we don’t really want to remember or have happen to us when throwing but it will happen at some point. Have you ever been told to stop throwing and put it away?

I posted this earlier in another thread but would also like to address it in its own thread as it irritated me. I had about 5-10 minutes left of my lunch break, just hanging out in the break room watching some CLYW cabin tutorials when I decide I’m going to try working on the first part of Berserker. My boss walks in, says hello, and immediately zero’s in on me yoyoing. After getting the “death stare” she says “Do that outside!” and goes on telling me how “dangerous” they can be and how they can go flying off the strings.

As that happened, my trick came to a screeching halt and the yoyo died out. Just about done with my break I do a snap start to get the get the yoyo back up (afterall, who winds their yoyos?). As I do it, I get a dirty look followed by hearing “Uh…what I just say?”

So yea…that irritated me, yet people in the workplace can ride pallet jacks through the warehouse like they’re riding scooters (I got cut off by one riding one) yet playing with a toy in an empty break room leads to being asked to stop. And I’d be more than happy to take my lunches outside but they don’t have an outside area to even eat (and where I can just relax and throw afterwards).

Yea, winter’s gonna be bad especially if it rains…going to be stuck inside the building where they frown upon me throwing on my relaxation time.

Have you had any “yoyo Nazi’s” in your yoyoing life?

Sounds like someone’s just following the golden rule: Them that got the gold make the rules.

3 Likes

this is unfortunately an aspect of corporate america. I can easily define a space in witch I am throwing and entering that space might bring about personal injury. Unfortunately most people seem ignorant to the flying piece of aluminum and have no issue wondering inside that dangerous perimeter.

I have experienced this in professional and family style settings, I can be in a completely empty and nonhazardous area and then someone will walk through and get whacked in the head by a yoyo. and quite frankly in a family setting it’s there own damn fault. but in a business setting insurance comes into play and it doesn’t matter who is at fault the company has to soak up all costs.

that being said it’s unfortunate but if your boss says you must comply, you have no other measures to fight against and you should comply versus loosing our job. It is unfortunate though versus people that can’t simply watch where they’re walking.

1 Like

That really sucks.

I’ve had that happen to me before with my extended family (Cousins aunts and uncles etc.) They were all like stop yoyoing the bearing makes too much noise you have to stop!

MY extended family are jerks I hate all of them. They’re mean to me every chance they get not just because of yoyoing.

Yeah I get that a lot too Especially at school. One time I started yoyoing after I finished all of my classwork my history teacher i had planned today therefore, naturally I start Yoyoing cause I’m bored. So she’s like “put that away and sit down!” I do so and she says “don’t you have any homework to do for other classes?” I say “yeah but they all require textbooks that I have at home”. So then I spend the rest of like 20 minutes watching paint dry annoyed. Cause all my other classmates were done their work as well.

(then again this teacher is a bit of a nut case she makes us only write in pen,makes us call classmates “friends” ,and then say “oh yeah I’ll just change your seats whenever I feel like it for group projects!”. Some days I think that class is a giant physiology experiment… Which makes perfect sense since she’s the physiology teacher as well)

#Homeschooledlikeaboss

I love being homeschooled it makes me kinda sad when I hear these public school stories

2 Likes

Hell no. I yo-yo everywhere - at my desk, in hallways, in meetings. No-one cares, I got one other guy here into yo-yoing and the most dangerous it gets is if we decide to try 2-person offstring toss/catch.

I totally understand where the boss was coming from. I have hit people with my yoyos, I have had the yoyo break off the string and go flying across the room even with a 1A yoyo (I mostly do 5A now). I know you say that lunch room was empty but if your boss lets you yoyo in their then, you may end up yoyoing when there are people in there in the future because you believe it is okay and hit somebody if the string snaps or if you are not careful enough with it. If the room was empty, you still could have damaged some of the company’s property by damaging a wall or something of that sort.

Overall, I think your boss was just making sure nothing bad happened.

I’m with you, Erik. Homeschooling is the best way of life for a child. Not only because you can yoyo everywhere, but you can also eat whenever you want, take a nap if need be and be on these forums almost all day. :smiley:

Yup pretty much and you can take yoyo breaks

Sounds like your boss is a jerk-face. If she really felt like it was a hazard, she could have handled it differently. I’m guessing this is not the first time someone has had an issue with her.

Abby-You should come to my class, I don’t usually have any down time in class, but I definitely throw in the halls and at lunch duty. :smiley:

2 Likes

That sucks, my boss let’s me yo-yo at work.

7 Likes

ha ha ha very funny Garrett

your class sounds much more entertain its an honors class, and I fly through the work cause i don’t find it very challenging… the only difference between honors and regular is that i have to write 2 more essays than regular. Any class that keeps me busy or engaged is a good class. :-\ Honestly, in my history class i don’t want to write more i want to go more in depth about it.

1 Like

Decided to make some use out of my lunch break and studied some of the CLYW cabin tutorials as I downloadedthem on my phone (watch in slow mo, and save data usage). Nothing beats playing the all mighty “Air yoyo.” Those things spin forever, weigh nothing at all and can’t break a thing with it. We just wont bring up how crazy you’ll look playing it.

Ha ha. I bet you hit the tricks every time with that thing.

Since I wasn’t there, I can’t really judge how your boss asked you to stop yoyoing. If it was in a rude way, that’s unfortunate. Her message could easily be communicated in a cordial manner. But there’s a time and place for everything, even yoyoing. If your boss doesn’t think it belongs in the break room, you’re kind of stuck there. I might suggest the men’s room (if there’s enough space) where your boss may not venture.

As a teacher, I have a yoyo club at my school. One of the first things we talk about is yoyo safety. The last thing I need is an angry parent calling me because their child came home with a nasty bump or gash on their face because the kids weren’t being careful. Because of kids practicing during recess, I was requested by the principal to make a “yoyo zone” to limit the amount of possible accidents. I actually had to write a kid up for throwing in a location other than the “zone”. I felt like a complete moron, but the principal backed me up on it because we’re trying to send a message about yoyo safety. It is what it is.

i used to throw in store and stuff but then i after too many close calls and a lowes employee actually grabbing my yoyo i decided it wasn’t worth the risk of throwing in those places.

there is indeed a time and place to throw yoyos and sometimes its not at work… yes your boss could have handled it better but you may or may not have been at fault.

Life tip #438: Make yourself so important that you can do what you want.

If you’re an essential, or at least highly appreciated, employee, many bosses will give you a bit more leeway. At least, that’s how it has worked out for me. The people I work for know I put work #1 while I’m there and am a valued contributor, so everyone is cool when I decide to take 15 and throw for a bit. At the end of the day, they know I’ll get the job done and do it well.

Granted, some people are just jerks–sorry if you work for one.

Interesting assumption about the, “after all who winds their yoyos”?

I was at Nats both Friday and Saturday. I saw a whole lot of people throwing yoyos. I saw very few people ‘snap starting’ their yoyos.

I mean a real full Snap start. The kind that Steve Brown or Andre Boulay or Yohans can do like nothing could be easier.

I did see many people either winding up their yoyos. Or doing more of a half snap with a fold over bind back to the hand.

And even then, some yoyos, depending on shapes and or sizes, are sometimes hard to snap start for anybody.

So, who winds up their yoyos? Well, I’m not saying what percentage because I haven’t done any extensive research to find out.

But I will tell you this… People that can do a genuine full snap start from a dead Yoyo with no ‘binder helper’ are in the Minority.

1 Like

I got a detention without warning for throwing during study hall >:(. Even worse, the rest of the kids were trying to throw cards at each other. I think my teacher is just jealous 8)