GN Yoyo Co. Phoenix Prototype REVIEW

Ok, so I’ve been following the drama and bad press just like everyone else has, and honestly, I was not impressed. I never publicly criticized GN the way some have on various sites, and I have been hoping their projects would come through for them, unlike some… but that isn’t to say I haven’t been cringing and facepalming along with everyone.

Then along came the opportunity to actually test the prototype they have released for their first actual production model, the Phoenix. At first I wasn’t sure about it, I had mainly signed up because I always like playing new yoyos, and I do like an undercut H shape on a yoyo. But with the continued criticism surrounding the yoyo, and the constant degrading of the specs, I wasn’t too sure I was excited for this one.

That all changed a few weeks ago when I received the Phoenix in the mail. This is a great yoyo, you don’t feel the weight, it is powerful and stable, yet it can be pretty nimble when you want it to be. I am almost reluctant to give this yoyo a description of “solid or floaty” because this is neither of those things. We all know why we are stepping away from the term “floaty” these days, but I do know that this doesn’t play solid to me. But we can get into all that in a moment.

First, the stats
Diameter: 59.46mm
Width: 45.5mm
Gap Width: 4.72mm
Weight: 68g
Response: CBC White Standard Pads
Axle: M4x10mm Nonmarring Set Screw
Bearing: 10 ball Buddha Whipple bearing

It was revealed early on that the some of the design and the entirety of the CAD modeling was done by Landon Balk over at 3yo3, while the machining was done at Foxland Precision (one of the primary machinists used in our community) You can really feel the quality of the design and machining on the raw metal, there are really almost no machine marks to be felt anywhere, and definitely no sharp edges. Kudos to GN for really sourcing their product well on this yoyo.

Of course we are all familiar with the early controversy with the comparison to a Cliff by GN themselves. That was actually a main criticism of the brand at first, come to think of it, and it really stuck in my mind to the point that when the Phoenix showed up at my door, the first thing I did was compare the two.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154544_HDR_zps7zk8ornq.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154605_HDR_zpssheiqvxa.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154628_HDR_zpsdaxznlfj.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154738_HDR_zpshzjfwbvj.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154820_HDR_zps0hbs2ord.jpg

As you can see, the Phoenix could technically be said to have been inspired by the cliff, but the shapes are pretty different when you get down to the fine details of the yoyo. It is immediately obvious that it is much more rounded than the Cliff, whose outer rims are very angular, and the space between the two outer rims on the Phoenix is also much wider, to the point where you will pretty much never snag a middle knuckle like you could on a Cliff, if you weren’t careful. The cups are definitely not even related to each other, especially considering that the Phoenix doesn’t even have the inner rim. Finally, you can see that the shape of the bearing seat is also pretty different from standard, and seems more shallow than the bearing seat of the Cliff.

One thing I did notice immediately upon receiving the yoyo was that the response area is REALLY deep compared to what I’m used to.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c354/5081701/20150911_154931_HDR_zpsdnetbpo8.jpg
The Phoenix shipped to me with White YYF pads in it, and the yoyo does actually respond fairly quickly using industry standard bulk string (Fat Kitty, Blueprint, sOmething Type 2) but it didn’t bind as tightly as I like. With permission of Paul Zorrovich (Zorro on YoYoExpert.com) I poured some MonkeySnot into the response groove, and from there on, the Phoenix’s binds were tight and quick, without catching the string mid trick. Whips, lacerations, and suicides were all wide open, as you’d expect from a modern yoyo, and it seems that flowable silicone was in mind when the response was designed, as I find it perfect.

As far as the size of the Phoenix, it is definitely an oversized throw. I had trouble fitting it in my Legyoyo holster at first, but once you get used to it, it’s not bad at all. I actually find it REALLY comfortable to play. Like seriously, the rounded rims, and the large size make for a really comfortable yoyo.
The spin does have some power to it, and serious amounts of stability coming from its 68g of weight. However, I find that this is one of those yoyos that seems to make the grams disappear on the throw. I would have honestly guessed that this weighed somewhere in the high 65’s or low 66’s rather than 68-69g. It hops really easily, and doesn’t seem to thunk down at the end of the string when you throw it. If you play quickly, or at competition speeds, I can see it hitting strings pretty hard, there is no denying what the scale tells you, I’ve had it swing down and bounce off of the mount I was attempting.

All that being said, I can emphasize the unique feeling this thing has, but I don’t think I’d be doing it justice. I REALLY enjoyed having this yoyo in my posession. It almost makes me sad to send it off to the next person, it was that fun to have. This is obviously all my opinion, but the design is good looking, the weight distribution is spot on, and the play is excellent.

BUT there is the thing about actually buying one. As of the time of writing, the price is supposed to be $100 for a raw, $110 for solid colors, $125 for splash, and $135 for “fancy splash”

I understand that these are speculated prices, but come on GN. Even with my high opinion of this yoyo, I won’t be paying $100 for a raw one. This is made more worrying by the disclaimer that has been taken down, but still remains fresh in memory for quite a few of us. *Zorro, as seen below, has answered the question of the infamous disclaimer, and I’m pretty satisfied with his response. The price may not be as low as I like, but as long as you are getting an A grade, its not as large of an issue as the original review stated

The company itself has some growing pains to go through, and some bad history to move on from. The yoyo itself is great, and they should be very proud of it. I would be, and I would love to see them be able to get yoyos out for a reasonable price considering that they are a brand new start up. I’m very interested in the Wildfire they have showing on their page.
http://gnyoyoco.wix.com
It looks like a fast V shape that should promise to be quite fun.

The real question on my mind is, will the Phoenix actually be released? I can’t say for sure, but I sure hope so.

Thanks for the great review Joey.

As of right now, I am working on lowering the prices. I understand that they are more expensive than what most people like. However, for now, those are the listed prices. I can not guarantee any lower prices but I will try.

To answer your question of if the Phoenixes will ever release, we can say “yes, but it will definitely take some time and preparation.” We want to make sure we do this right. There will be no chances for anything short of an a-grade when you pay full price. B-grades will be sold separately at a much lower price or not at all.

Thanks for your time spent testing and writing this long, excellent review. I am glad you seemed to enjoy it.

As for the WildFire, I have made a new design that I have not posted yet. The design still has a v-shape but the rim will be slightly different to allow a little more rim-weight and the cup will be rounded. This yoyo is far into the future for our company though.

Edited to reflect your response. I can thoroughly say I enjoyed the Phoenix, and wish you guys luck on getting it out