does a branded bearing really increase spin time?

I was just contemplating purchasing terrapin x bearings, but I wonder if it will actually increase sleep time significantly over the 10 ball magicyoyo bearings. I know throw is important, but assuming the same throw, how much longer of a sleeper would I get from upgrading?

You might get 30 seconds or so from a super brand bearing. I find more expensive bearings quieter, and Terrapin X are certainly some of my absolute favorite bearings.

If you really clean the heck out of your MYY 10 ball, it should spin just as long as a more expensive bearing anyway. I’ve taken to buying bulk 10 ball centering bearings, since at that cost you can just toss the junk ones, or the ones that make a lot of noise, etc…

I also like to use Terrapin X Dry lube on my bearings, I find they spin faster and a little longer with it.

1 Like

the branding and product placement is strong here.

I wish I worked for Terrapin X :-\

Goes to show what happens when you make a good product I guess. But I really only push their dry lube, if you actually took the time to read the post.

May I know where u purchased the bulk 10 ball bearings?

It is from a Chinese vendor. Not entirely sure of YYE’s policy on discussing it since they wouldn’t really be a competitor, but I can also see why not.

Just try looking on aliexpress or eBay, sometimes amazon

Branded bearings vary in quality but -none- of them offer huge performance increases.

2 Likes

Smart man.

Honestly, spin time is not something you need to be too concerned about. You will get a decent enough spin on any modern yoyo with whatever bearing.

I usually make my peace with whatever bearing my yoyo comes with, although I still am a big fan of flat bearings -generic or otherwise. I think they offer the best overall performance.

1 Like

i did, still branding and promoting something. :-/

by the way speaking from experience, their bearings and lube are nothing to write home about. I had a terrapin x in a yo-yo I carried every day for a month and the bearing was just the worst. Got super dirty super quick and then the lube just made it worse. I ended up throwing both out because they were a waste of my money and time.

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to lube terrapin bearings, and the dry lube is only to be used after a thorough cleaning on regular bearings. Stick to the instructions and the dry lube is amazing, and that is why it is the only lube I really recommend to people

I used the dry lube for a long time on many different bearings and followed the instructions properly. I didn’t like it at all. It makes every bearing feel gritty and not last long between cleanings. It’s also so hard to know when you’ve put enough on, but immediately obvious when you’ve put on too much.

I usually just barely tap the brush on the dust on the side of the inner bag, and only lightly tap a couple of the balls in the bearing.

BUT I’ve had a few bearings go gritty from it, and I know it certainly doesn’t make bearings quieter, so I can see that criticism. I guess it’s all subjective, just like the entire world is :stuck_out_tongue:

One bad thing about non branded bearings are, sometimes even when they are claimed to be stainless, it’s only the outer part of the bearing and not the inside, I have seen some like these.
Spin time is not an issue with modern yoyos even with a cheap bearing as long as it’s properly clean it will spin very long. I only have tried a few high end bearings but what I can tell is they tend to be somewhat smoother, quieter, and have less slop, little difference on spin time.
If you want more spin time, clean the bearing and don’t lube it, or use dry lube.