New to yoyoing

The OneStar Starter Set seems a good buy because it is inexpensive…but honestly the YoYoJam Dark Magic II is a heck of a good yoyo to start with because it comes with a slim responsive bearing as well as a C-sized bearing to use once you start learning to bind. It’s also durable and has a great weight & balance.

Others have said so on this thread already but throw and throw and throw some more.

It really just takes a gradual familiarity with the yoyo and the way it reacts to you.

I started learning years ago on a regular Duncan Butterfly before graduating to a Freehand Zero.

Honestly you don’t need to spend a ton of money yet on new bearings, tools, and holsters.

You can pop a bearing out with a hex key and bulk polyester strings will keep you going for a long time.

I had a holster made for me out of stretchy lanyard and a carabiner.

Make due with what you have so you don’t waste money on stuff you won’t really need until you have begun to experiment with more complex tricks.

Unless you are playing with a looping yoyo move away from cotton strings though. They tend to break after a couple hours of play. Polyester string can last as long as you want to put up with it though I tend to change mine once it stretches out and starts to feel grimy.