New to yoyoing

I started out with a DV888 responsive, not sure if it was the best choice (was going for a velocity but it was sold out).

I can currently pull of sleepers, breakaways and sometimes trapeze (inconsistently).

Im not sure which yoyo to go for. My sleepers are getting better but still get wobbly once in a while, and the aluminum slams into my hand hurts if I dont catch it correctly. One thing that has been bothering me is that sometimes the yoyo goes up before I tug the rope, might be that I throw too hard without dampening the landing.

I have been looking around for the Sage Yoyo, Protostar and Onestar.

I have no clue what I should get, seeing how Im still rather new but prefer string tricks over loops. Might be too soon for an unresponsive seeing how i cant get a consistent trapeze setup.

Started yoyoing two days ago and Im really looking to push my skills. I’d appreciate any help I can get here.

Any recommendations? Unresponsive/responsive? Which yoyo to go for? (any brand)

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

The diffussion and protostar are great choices. As Well as the replay pro and onestar. You could upgrade the bearing on your dv888 to play unrepsonsive, but considering the price of getting a bearing alone, your better off with just getting a replay pro or something.

Unless you already have, i really recommend getting bulk string and some thin lube. And maybe even a multi tool or holder if your wanna feel fancy.

To be honest the only way you can know what you are gonna like is by throwing it for yourself. No amount of recommendations or reviews can say when ether or not YOU will like it, so try to take other peoples recommendation as a grain of salt. But if the overwhelming majority is recommending something, that probably mean its good :slight_smile:

Moral of the story, trust your gut man :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: I’ll make sure to take that into account!

I have the replay pro and one star. The replay pro is a comfy organic like shape and one of the best sub $20 plastic throws around(unresponsive). However, I personally like the onestar a bit more for its wing shape design, though its not as forgiving as the replay on a bad catch(hurt my hand a few times when I got the onestar, until I learned to adjust my grip a bit, now it’s great). Some onestars come with Center track bearings.

1 Like

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/252/One-Drop-V4M-Lube

If you have the resources, this would be a great beginner setup. It would come out to about $57 and has everything you will need to start yoyoing. You could go really far with it. If you lack the money, then you could just get the Classic and Replay Pro, or one of the two.

1 Like

You throw so much your arm becomes sore

If I were you, get a YYJ classic, a cheap wide bearing (YYJ classics already come responsive and wide bearing wise you don’t need anything fancy even an 8 ball wide bearing will do.), some response pads (you want 19mm CBC pads doesn’t matter what type) some extra string, and maybe a little sewing machine oil from your local craft store. That would cost you about $26 in total, maybe a little more depending on the string you get. Happy throwing!

1 Like

If you want to upgrade the bearing, I like my buddha bearing a lot.
And the price of the buddha is going to keep you from spending too much on the set up.
Sting is going to be needed at some point. (I would get Buddha or Blueprint String)
And the Replay Pro is a great choice for unresponsive.

However, you can still just keep thowin in the mean time.
Just wait until you can do a goo trap, and maybe a double or nothing, and then go for the upgrade.
The DV888 can take you a long way in the beginning.

I love the Replay Pro, and I have tons of high end stuff. Replay is in my daily rotation.

I started on the flying squirrel ($9.99) and I loved the spin times/balance, but size may be an issue since you’re new. My suggestion would be either that or Protostar

Welcome to the sport… if this IS a sport…

I cannot give a good opinion for a starter responsive yoyo… (I picked a YYJ Dark Magic 2… it is excellent but probably more expensive than viable alternatives)

When you move to non-responsive (and you will sooner than you think… ) I have tried quite a few and think the Shutter is is a fantastic choice. Great quality to cost ratio IMHO

The OneStar Starter Set seems a good buy because it is inexpensive…but honestly the YoYoJam Dark Magic II is a heck of a good yoyo to start with because it comes with a slim responsive bearing as well as a C-sized bearing to use once you start learning to bind. It’s also durable and has a great weight & balance.

Others have said so on this thread already but throw and throw and throw some more.

It really just takes a gradual familiarity with the yoyo and the way it reacts to you.

I started learning years ago on a regular Duncan Butterfly before graduating to a Freehand Zero.

Honestly you don’t need to spend a ton of money yet on new bearings, tools, and holsters.

You can pop a bearing out with a hex key and bulk polyester strings will keep you going for a long time.

I had a holster made for me out of stretchy lanyard and a carabiner.

Make due with what you have so you don’t waste money on stuff you won’t really need until you have begun to experiment with more complex tricks.

Unless you are playing with a looping yoyo move away from cotton strings though. They tend to break after a couple hours of play. Polyester string can last as long as you want to put up with it though I tend to change mine once it stretches out and starts to feel grimy.

Given that you started off responsive, you can’t go wrong with upgraded classic and replay pro given that the diffusion and the protostar is a bit more expensive.

You may wanna learn more tricks first though. Get a feel for the intermediate section. The move to unresponsive may intimidate you but the fun is in the challenge. Once you buy your first fully unrespnsive yoyo, you’ll be craving for a shiny new metal in no time. Have fun! ;D