Leviathan 7 Review

Well, let’s get the show on the road and dive right into the topic at hand…the all new Leviathan 7. Specs are as follows:
Manufacturer…Turning Point
Diameter…53.12mm
Width…42.5mm
Gap width…4.66mm
Weight…65.8 grams
Bearing…size C center track
Response…19mm K-pad/19mm slim pad

Currently.....my two prime throws are a CLYW Orca and Puffin 2.  I actually prefer the size of the puffin 2 compared to all my other throws.  The size makes it perfect for more intricate string tricks.  You see, the puffin 2 has excellent spin time......good weight.....but is lacking in the stability department when compared to a slightly larger yoyo.  This is where the Orca comes in of coarse.  I'm not saying the Puffin 2 is unstable, but it left a little to be desired in my opinion.  
 I set out to find a yoyo relatively the same size as the Puffin 2....but wanted stability, spin time, and speed.  Once I came across the Leviathan 7 specs.......I knew I would have to try one for myself.  
 I have had my Leviathan 7 for 2 days now and have about 6 hours  throw time on it.  My initial impression of the build quality was very good.  The metal weight rings on the outside are seamless and you can tell a lot of attention was given to this.  The machining is a 10/10.  I have never felt a 100% dead smooth yoyo.  Every yoyo I have ever thrown has some degree of fingernail vibe....even if it can be barely felt on the tip of your fingernail while spinning.  Having said this, my Leviathan 7 is the smoothest spinning yoyo I have ever thrown which is a feat unto itself considering it has metal rings on the outside.  The machining from the bearing seat to the outer rims and finally the rings.....and everything put together SEAMLESS, balanced, and almost dead nuts smooth.  Impressive to say the least.  The anodized finish is top notch.  
 Throwing this yoyo is a pure pleasure.  It feels heavier than its size on the throw due to the rim weighting......but not overly heavy at all.  In fact, it feels just right.  While maneuvering through tricks she is quite fast.....lighter than the initial throw.  It feels nothing like a space cowboy.....the space cowboy feels very heavy.  Compared to a space cowboy I would describe the throw on the Leviathan 7 as light.  There is absolutely no slippage from the response when thrown.....no matter how hard I throw.  Binds are crisp and tight.  The 4.66mm gap lends itself well for 1A string tricks and will easily eat up multiple layers of strings no problem.  
 Stability.  Oh sweet heaven.  The stability on the Leviathan 7 is uncanny when compared to the Puffin 2.  Not even in the same leaque.  In fact, it would be more appropriate to compare the stability to the Ti Dream.  I'm not kidding.  I cannot tell a difference between the Ti Dream and the Leviathan 7 as far as stability is concerned......this shocked me to say the least.  Take it or leave it.  
 Spin time.  The spin time is absolutely on par with a larger competition throw.  It matches the Ti Dream in this department....and surpasses the ORCA, Puffin2, Cheif, Gnarwhal, Bonfire.  The bind returns are crisp and the Leviathan 7 will come back with authority....at times surprisingly so if bound to soon after a throw.  
 I'm very pleased with the Leviathan 7.  I'm using yoyoexpert expert string which is on the thinner side.  The 4.66mm gap is fairly wide and again......tight binds with no slippage on throws.  This is what displeased me with the Ti Dream.  I could get string slippage on demand with my breakaway throw and while this didn't hurt anything....it is lost power.  I tried fat kitty on the Dream too....I could still cause slippage on demand.  My breakaway is powerful.  
 This sums up my review.  I am seriously considering selling every other yoyo I own right now.  Its that good.  Below is a little explanation/theory why I prefer 53mm diameter throws.
 The 53mm mark is the sweet spot for me.  Believe it or not.....19mm response systems seem to be the most efficient at this size.  In my opinion...as the yoyo gets larger, and especially if it's larger with heavy rim weighting, the 19mm diameter pads are no longer as efficient and a larger diameter pad would be better suited for the task.  This is why the Leviathan 7 is supremely awesome.  Again.....this paragraph is highly opinionated and take it with a grain of salt please.

Well, that certainly is a ringing endorsement :smiley:

Thanks for the review. I was curious about how the L7 would turn out.

It IS amazing. Its hands down the best throw I own. Thanks for the review. Can’t wait to see more ano’s in the future.

It surpassed what I was expecting. I was expecting having my orca and Leviathan 7 sitting on the counter during practice sessions picking up either one depending on what I was doing. The counter top is empty and the Leviathan is on my finger.

Glad to see that you got one too :smiley:

Excellent review! The Lev 7 is an amazing throw, definitely on-par with the Palpitation.

Im torn between grabbing my first titanium (YYF Dream Ti) Or the Leviathan 7… I think you’ve peaked my interest. ;D

seeing how both leviathan and positron took an 180 turn in their evolution

The Leviathan looks rather comfy to hold as well. Considering I just bought several high end throws, I doubt this will make it in my collection, and by the time I do decide to try it out, it will be sold out.

It is comfortable to hold. Should have included that in the review.