Bearing Troubles

I just got my Japan mystery pack and got the metal replay. I love it but now I can’t substitute the bearing to the other one that came with the pack. The one that came in the throw is completely stuck. I have tried using the yyf tool but it is still not coming out. All I need is some ways to get that stuck bearing out.

If you’re using the multi tool make sure you are rocking it back and forth, left to right, and not trying to pull the bearing straight off. It takes a little patience, but you should see the bearing start to work its way off the bearing seat.

If it’s really not budging you can always try gripping the tool with a pair of vice grips for more leverage. This will probably damage your multi tool, but the added leverage really makes it easier.

Thanks Garrett I got the bearing out now I am trying to get the other in. How will I know when I have that other bearing all the way in to the tight bearing seat?

Just put the bearing in place and screw the yo-yo together, it will press in place as the yo-yo tightens.

I know you’ve gotten the bearing out, but for future reference, I find putting the yoyo in the freezer for about two to three hours, then try again with the multi-tool, it will come out easier.

I second the freezer idea. Works like a charm.

Freezer trick works great for me, and, in my experience, only takes about half an hour to 45 min for it to work, not 2-3 hours.

The freezer trick is an absolute winner. I usually use at least an hour…sometimes overnight because I’m old and have the short term memory of a flea

If doing the freezer trick you may want to seal the yoyo in a plastic bag to prevent the likely condensation from getting in the bearing or on the axle.

Ummm, you need to take it out of the bag to remove the bearing while it’s still cold, so why bother.

If you use a drill bit that is one size smaller than the inner diameter of the bearing it can be removed while sealed. desiccant or silica added to the bag and excess air removed from bag before sealing will prevent even the smallest amounts of moisture.

Moisture isn’t the issue, removing the bearing is. A small amount of maintenance will resolve any possible issues caused by moisture, w/o all the hassle you describe.