General Yo Prophecy Review

General Yo Prophecy Review

Specs:
56.8 diameter
44 wide
64 grams
4.3 gap

Out of the box:
First thing you will notice is how similiar the profile is to that of a Prestige. It is a very comfortable organic curved v-shape. Great for grinds and landing the string into the gap. The signature glass blast by General Yo is on point and smooth. This version has a special engraving by Anthony Rojas on the hub.

The special hub:
The thing that sets this apart from the Pretsige the most is the inner cup and hub. It is a very unique design that allows for more accessible long finger spins than the Prestige, which was also capable of long finger spins, but was not as accessible. The most important part of the design though is the fact that it cuts out most of the center weight. Usually Yoyos that cater to finger spins add a lot of center weight to create a bowl, which it turn bogs down the speed of the Yoyo. Rim weight is maxed out here, creating a much faster Yoyo that picks up a ton of momentum.

At the end of the day:
This Yoyo plays very much like a more competition based Prestige. It has more speed and quickness resembling the Amplitude. The organic v-shape also makes for great horizontal play. Keep an eye out for this sometime in July. They are bound to sell fast like the first batch.

Nice review. I’m still waiting on an email from Ernie about a b-grade if any are produced.

How does it fingerspin? Is it designed to fingerspin at an angle outside of the “mini cup” in the middle?

It fingerspins in the very middle of the Yoyo against the inside of the ring.

1 Like

Interesting… guess I’ll have to try it lol.

Thanks

I’m one of the lucky guys who got the first batch of Prophecy. I did a mini vid because I was inspired on its inner weight rings. You can do a “tug start” just like on a hubstacks vertically or horizotantally. Truly “Kuya” Ernie has done an amazing job on the Prophecy! :blush:

3 Likes

the prophecy is a phenomenal yoyo. It’s weight distribution is placed perfectly, nice and light, but can handle any kind of style! Just like everything from Ernie @GenYo, these are unbelievably smooth, I honestly cannot put it down. If you are questioning getting one of these, you won’t be disappointed. This put a new perspective on yoyo engineering for me. Ernie did an absolutely fantastic job.

I got the Prophecy a little over a month ago and made a post: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,84446.0.html

I haven’t been throwing a ton lately but I’ll just go ahead and add a bit to it…

It’s an amazing throw! It feels a bit like a Prestige in-hand but also feels a bit lighter. It gets great spin times, plays very quick and has an awesome blast to it. Plus, you can’t get a better looking throw than this:

http://i.imgur.com/twZQMcN.jpg

Hey everyone! So recently I bought a prophecy from Ernie. He sent me my green manalishi prophecy and when I first opened and threw it I didn’t know what to think. It was so light yet it plays so good. I was able to maneuver it as if it was a 67 gram yoyo. It’s large diameter gives it plenty of rim-weight which allows for long spin time and a great feel in the hand. General yo always has that absolutely amazing blast finish and that is just another great perk to this yoyo. In all honesty this has become one of my favorite yoyos. The only thing I would say is if you like more organic yoyos them this may not be the throw for you. The prophecy can play slow and remain smooth but I prefer it for my faster more meticulous style. All in all this is a fantastic yoyo. - Yosiah

1 Like

If the Prestige and Amplitude had a baby…it would be the Prophecy!

This thing RIPS…fast, stable, smooth…definitely in the Gen Yo competition category.

Ernie knows yoyos…and the Prophecy does not disappoint! You better jump on one if you have a chance!

RIDE

I bought two of these bad boys. To me its faster than I thought it would be. I am not very good at finger spins at all but this is the only yoyo I have been able to bind during a finger spin. Get one. Do it.

I’ve had this yoyo for about a month and it is one of the best and most unique yoyos I own. To start with, it has two of the things that General Yo has become known for, it’s dead smooth and it has a perfect blast finish. I have an M10, Prestige and now a Prophecy with the General Yo blast and it is by far my favorite yoyo finish. The 3 color Fade/Splash “Speckle Fever” ano on the yoyo I received is awesome as well.

The obvious comparison is between the Prophecy and the Prestige. They’re roughly the same size and have the same catch zone profile. A very comfortable organic V shape. It a nice change compared to a straight V and I definitely prefer it over a classic organic. The cup is where these two completely diverge. The prestige has a nicely machined concave nub, while the prophecy has a much talked about inner spin ring with a center nub. I love the look of the prestige cup. It’s clean and unique, but I still can’t really do anything special with it. I’ve seen videos of finger spins with it, but have yet to land the finger divot on my actual finger. The prophecy is a whole different story.

There was a lot of discussion on the forums about the inner ring design on the prophecy. Although designed to facilitate finger spins, many were skeptical that a design of this nature would actually work. I decided I had to learn to finger spin just to test it out. I am a complete newbie when it comes to finger spins, but I can finger spin and bind on the prophecy with ease. The design is actually really amazing. When you catch it in the center on your finger, your nail rests against the ring creating a low friction connection. The pad of your finger rests against the nub, but as a result of the nub design there is almost no skin contact. This allows the yoyo to spin on your finger for much longer and cleaner than many other finger spin friendly designs with a truly one of a kind feel.

For its weight the Prophecy is incredibly stable. It does not spin quite as long and is not quite as stable as it heavier cousin the prestige. However, I had absolutely no issues with stability or spin time, and prefer the light feel and speed of the prophecy. It is one of the most maneuverable yoyos I own. If I had to choose one or the other, the prophecy would get my vote.

I own quite a few yoyos and this one is a must have for me. It is a great all around throw and the fit and finish is excellent. It works just as well as a daily carry as it does looking pretty on a display shelf. However, the feature that makes this a must have for me is the center ring design. It quite simply provides a type of play and a feel for certain tricks that none of my other yoyos have. Uniqueness is something I prize very highly in my ever growing collection of throws. I rarely buy two of any one design. Generally, I feel there are so many great yoyos being created today, that I would rather have variety in my collection, than several of the exact same yoyo. That said, when the next batch of prophecies releases, I’m planning to by another (If I can get my hands on one). I can’t recommend it highly enough!

I’ve also been throwing this beast for the last month and it has become my go to. I’m still learning some of the more basic stuff but I managed my first suicide and I’m almost through spirt bomb. Spins new than long enough for learing and is as stable as a cat. I even managed to get the thing horizontal by just grabbing the ring and flipping it. Mos def the most fun I’ve had with a throw so far.

Got a solid blue, un-engraved one. New favorite yoyo. 'Nuff said.

This looks top notch…

1 Like

I want it anyone wants to trade with my Clyw?

How does one get one of these un-engraved models? Directly contract Ernie?

Yes…but you would have to do it earlier…they are gone now. :-\

Mhm, he usually has some really fun stuff.

Mine’s a b-grade though (but more comp grade-ish), so that’s probably why it was left unengraved.

Fingerspins nicely that way! :slight_smile:

Thought I’d add my thoughts here as well.

Been playing with it for a week and it’s great, I dig it. Everything is just so perfect, as usual. The blast finish is spectacular. Every GeneralYo I’ve tried always leaves me thinking, “I wouldn’t change a thing.” This one is the same. I dunno, maybe Entheos. Anyway, It’s a fairly simple V but the slight bump inside adds that extra little touch.

Play feels very floaty to me… Whatever that means. It’s so well balanced. But what GenYo isn’t?! I suppose if one were in the market for a high grade fullsize light V that plays floaty with no vibe… For me… This is it, no brainer.

I like most yoyos I try but very few I become “stuck” on. This one I am definitely stuck on. If I had to pick just one fullsize to have forever… Yeah, this would be it.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/EasyTrapezey/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjtbpex7l.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/EasyTrapezey/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspjwktkwz.jpg

My Prophecy was arrived yesterday. After unbox I throw a sleeper test. No surprise if you’ve ever play a GenYo, it is dead smooth as usual. The next thing I want to try is lateral finger spin which I 've never landed it. It is tricky for me who has a poor sense of balancing a yoyo. After try several times I can spin around 5 seconds, my big step. Thanks for the keen design of its inner ring. Now a trick like finger spin is not hard to deal with , the harder part is how to get one !