Luftverk Evora!!!!

Just got a text from my better half… Cannot wait to go home.

Edit - Ahhh bummer, just got sent a pic of the box, it’s NOT the Evora! So bummed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Greg’s probably too busy playing to post pictures then, haha.

From the few people I’ve talked to who have received theirs, early reviews are that this thing is fantastic. Next level stuff. Lives up to the hype. Etc. All gushingly positive.

Cannot wait.

Here’s a few words GregP used to express his view point on it - Making me very excited to try it!!!

First impressions of the Evora:

• wow, that packaging, though!
  • so elegant
  • why am I gawking? Where’s the nearest string?
  • Ermagerd. Feels amazing on the throw. No kickback, yay!
  • What. The. Actual. $%*?? WHY SO SMOOTH?
  • Oh gawd. I’m finally going to be afraid to ding a yoyo.
  • Why is this so stable? I thought the less rim weight would mean less stability, but this thing pwns!
  • Oh man. Still had lots of spin left when I hit that bind. Surprising!
  • Wonder how my finger-grind binds will work out? Oh, oops. I think I need to be more precise on my finger grinds; that catch zone shape isn’t making it brainless
  • Oh there we go. Yeah. Gotta be more precise and careful, but man, this thing actually grinds!
  • This… feels… like it couldn’t reasonably be made with Aluminum. Might be placebo or confirmation bias. Not sure. Just feels… titanium-y…
  • I don’t need moar yoyos. Ever.

Naturally, I will get moar yoyos. It’s inevitable. But yeah. It’s that good.

Speaking of pictures, see below a photo I took primarily to show off my Ti ano job on the Dream, but it looks lovely next to the amazing Evora. :slight_smile: Sorry about the overblown highlights… it’s on the card that way; can’t recover them!

The Evora is hands-down my favourite yoyo right now. Possibly “ever”, but I’ll have to give it some time. It has everything that I like about a yoyo: fairly light weight, stable but still lively, feels great on the throw. The thing about kickback posted above (thanks, KiLbUcK!) is Jeff’s vision come to fruition. While the majority of yoyos to come out lately are rim-weighted for stability and long spin time, the price you pay is kickback. The Evora avoids that and consequently feels amazing on the throw.

Here’s the thing about spin time, though: rim-weighted yoyos are only going to have momentum for long spins on a hard throw (producing the aforementioned kickback). This is fine, and a lot of you HAVE hard throws. My throw is a bit weak in general, and moreso because I hate having to control kickback. With the Evora I can just let it rip, giving me higher initial RPMs. Less momentum to carry them, but higher at the outset. Higher RPMs translate in the gyroscopic equation to resistance to tilt (ie. stability) as well as providing a buffer for the inevitable (in all yoyos) loss of spin.

In conclusion: it spins way longer than I thought it would, and is significantly more stable than I thought it would be. I thought as a mid-weighted yoyo, it was going to suffer from spin time. But between the amazing initial throw, the quality bearing, and still being a design that doesn’t siphon spin time (it’s neutral in that regard), you get a lot of spin for your energy.

The “titanium-ness” I feel in the yoyo differs a bit from the Dream. While the Dream uses the Ti to produce fantastic rim weight for that “style” of yoyo, ultimately I still get the sensation that I’ve “been here before” with bi-metals or even just well-designed rim-weighted aluminum yoyos. It’s a fantastic yoyo and you should all get one if you can, but it didn’t leave me with the same sense that the Evora does: that this design could ONLY be executed with Titanium.

Now, I’m not saying that’s a truth. I know that it’s probably partially bias confirmation and possibly just an overall positive feeling while playing the yoyo. I’m objective enough to know that you probably COULD pull off this weight distribution with clever design in other materials. But I’m telling you the “feeling” I get, which is that the Evora is entirely unique and that the uniqueness is owed in part to the Titanium construction.

2 Likes

Dadgumit Greg I’m so super jealous right now.

Gah, that people looks so amazing, can’t wait for mine. And pretty much everything you’ve written lines up with my personal predictions that I’ve had about this. So I’m super pumped.

I hope mine shows up tomorrow so I can let people try it at Ohio States. :slight_smile:

Got mine yesterday. I only had a few minutes to give it a whirl, but I’m really happy with it. ;D
I love the shape and the ceramic bearing is whisper quiet. I hope there’s another run of these so more people get the opportunity to try one.

Easily one of the best releases of the past year. I hope Jeffrey either runs more, or runs an aluminum version so that more people can enjoy this stellar design.

this would be the best thing ever

I second this… got mine today, incredibly well done.

Kyle

One of the first things I thought was also, “An aluminum version would be killer!” Jeff has stated that Luftverk will do exclusively Ti, but y’know… people change their minds. :slight_smile:

I can’t get enough of both the Evora and the Dream. Two completely different beasts, but both are proving to be easy choices to “go to” for the day.

and here I sit… waiting for mine…

Me too Berto, me too. :’(

If he did aluminum he’d have to change the distribution though cause of that part that’s like, 0.5mm thick. Or 1mm thick. Something like that. I want to say he did an aluminum prototype and the body snapped apart. Where did I hear that?

Outside of people sharing them at contests or other gatherings, I’m thinking he’s going to need to make more if he wants more people to experience it. Because I don’t imagine too many of these original 45 will end up on the secondary market, they’re just THAT good. I know mine won’t be sold/traded in the foreseeable future.

Did anybody here get that special finish version? I’m curious how that plays, as the purple glass dust version already grinds pretty well. Would be interesting for somebody to compare both of them, but that may be difficult with how few of them there are.

So just got mine and I was one of those on the fence that was just meh sooo much hype, everyone says its soo good, blah blah blah, and now I am one of those. Just about everything about it is great!

The feel, the sound, the floatiness (whatever that is) spintime, etc. I don’t have anything bad to say. Although the finish isn’t the prettiest in the world for something that is “special,” the feel of it definitely is.

It’s like a Skywalker and Wooly Marmot 2 combined and refined into something beyond special!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Always great to hear what other people think - helps with future designs. As always you can reach me by email as well.

For everyone wondering - I have been in contact with Andre for a super limited run of raw Evoras. Thats all I can say right now.

Jeff

When are the titanium clyw/luftverks coming out?? ::slight_smile: didnt buy an evora cus im saving to get every single one of those ever released :smiley:

Came home to a surprise yesterday!

It’s good. Really good. To me it plays like… Like 3/4 bimetal X 1/4 aluminum.

It reminds me of Amplitude X Sputnik. I feel like it really takes advantage of the titanium medium being used. I really like that. Like, why make a titanium yoyo if you don’t exploit the titanium advantage. Very happy. Was a bit worried that I wouldn’t be able to tell a difference. I’d say it’s less of a difference than bimetal VS aluminum. Anyway it’s really good. The finish is really cool too, it is like Teflon, it almost feels like ceramic which is a cool accompaniment to the ceramic bearing. Dig it, good job Luftverk.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/EasyTrapezey/Mobile%20Uploads/7EB5720A-499A-46E7-827C-B59F91005F05_zpsgsgb1fyd.jpg

And thanks!

Oh, forgot to mention, it’s really great with OD slim pads.