Some 3D Printed Yoyos

Lol you’re not hijacking my thread, just glad I can help. :slight_smile:

The design is based off a prusa i3, a very popular design in the reprap community. Ibought a kit from folgertech and there’s actually a newer one out, the 2020 i3 on their website. http://folgertech.com/products/folger-tech-reprap-2020-prusa-i3-full-aluminum-3d-printer-kit

They have a google doc with how to build it as well. I would suggest the one I linked to, but doing some research into the printer for you is the best approach. The i3 rework and the P3Steel are other notable designs not to mention core xy and delta designed printers. So pretty much it’s as hard as you want it to be. Good luck! If you need anymore help feel free to post or pm me!

Hi I was just wondering would you sell one :slight_smile:

Pm me and we can talk :). I am definitely open to the idea; eventually I want to start a company. Baby steps!

What does pm mean.

Personal message.

Click on his profile name then there should be a option for personal message.

This is pretty sweet, I was recently looking into 3D printing a yoyo, too.
Thought about making a design to fit in some metal weight rings from home depot on the rims.

Wich program did you use to design the yoyos? And how did you make the bearing seat, axle and response pads? And how well do they play?

I tried to find rings like that, but was unable to find any nearly big enough. Good luck finding some! It’s not very hard to 3D print one though.

I used solidworks, but then I remade them in fusion 360 which is a free CAD software! I have seen people using software other than CAD though. I made the seat, etc. by measuring the seat of two of my yoyos and recreated it in CAD. Response pads are flowable silicone. Axle is an M3 screw and nut I think. I made a M3 sized hole in CAD design and just fed it through when it was done printing.

I made one design that was playable. It plays pretty well for what it is. (The bearing seat is 3D printed as well.) I am planning on trying a design with a standard bearing spacer as the bearing seat. I haven’t been able to make more designs because of school, etc.

I found rings that work for undersized yoyos. 1.469" x 3/4" stainless steel washers.

I also found some aluminum washers a little bigger (2" OD I think) that could be used, but they’re much more expensive.

Here’s the yoyos I’ve made with the smaller washers. Still tweaking the inner diameter of the holes, since the original required hammering the washers in and I made the holes too big on the second one. The second one only uses M4 nut+screw with no spacers, and is actually less vibey than the first one that uses Side Effects, go figure.

(Edit: Trying to put the attachments in somehow, forum is a little glitchy at the moment.)

Kuryaka you have some great designs! Where did you find the rings? I wasn’t able to find any.

Kuryaka, what blue filament did you use? It looks a little sparkly, really cool look.

I ordered the same 3D printer!

Sweet! Good luck! If you need any help, feel free to PM me, I’ve actually led the build of two of the 2020 version for ASME on campus.

For anyone that has questions about the process, how to make one, etc, I was getting a lot of questions so I made this video for your reference. Its not the best quality, but it’s the first real video I have made so I’m sorry.

If you have any questions after you watched the video feel free to PM me, and if you have suggestions for future videos/etc. feel free to leave them here as well.

In the description of the video I have links to yoyo stock designs which are a good base for your design so you won’t have to do the measurements I had to do.

Good luck everyone!

Hmm, for some reason the video wont work…

Like the methods in the video don’t work? Or the video itself won’t open?

Video works for me.

Wait, its just my stupid filter, it works so well that I honestly thought that the link was broken.