Sengoku Nobunaga: A High Speed YoYo Review

a Mexican-Canadian decides to build a yo-yo while living in Japan. Sounds like the start to some sort of off-color joke but in this case it is the story of Julio Robles and his new company Sengoku. Robles took the name for his company from the Sengoku era of Japan focusing on the era’s warring clans and its ultimate unification under the leadership of the mighty shogun. Julio’s plan is to name each release after one of the powerful clan leaders from the era, starting off with Nobunaga. Nobunaga was considered one of Japan’s most brutal warriors of the time and later recognized as one of Japan’s greatest rulers. If not for the betrayal and forced suicide by one of his generals, Nobunaga may very well have succeeded in completely conquering and then unifying all of Japan. Quite a heady backstory for a simple toy, but being a huge history buff I loved researching it. For Sengoku’s first release Robles decided to forgo playing it safe and instead went for a much harder to make and higher priced bi-metal design. A gamble for sure but one that will help Sengoku seize the interests of the masses who have a multitude of yo-yo choices from many established companies. Whether that gamble will pay off is to be seen.

Click Here to continue reading the review.

2 Likes

I Always look forward to reading your Amazingly detailed Yoyo reviews. Your: format, depth of detail and images all come together as top shelf reading material. I literally feel I get to know yoyos I have never touched.

I find your reviews invaluable and I have no doubt other Forum members feel pretty much the same way.

The time and effort you put into the many reviews do not go unappreciated.

Thanks Chris…

1 Like

Preach…

Really good review. And whenever I see a over 100 yoyo I just really don’t read long reviews. I just read the summary because I’m not buying them. Whether its a CLYW or a YYR. But this one it really looks great as its a mix of casuality and performance. I read the full review and I’m really interested in this. Which yoyos in this price range would you compare with this?

Honestly, I don’t know. The major designs that are similar to this from companies such as Turning Point and YYR have not come across my desk. it is not that much more than some of the full aluminum yo-yos that are coming out but since the constructions are different I would not want to make the comparisons.

OK hope to buy this one soon.

Sorry for thread necrosis… But do any of you guys know what grade of aluminum the Nobunaga is made from?

I thought I had said it in the review… can’t believe I left it out. It is 7075 aluminum.

What makes you think it is 7075?

The fact that I was wrong and confused it with the Hideyoshi. :slight_smile:

I just asked Julio, it is 6061. Rule number 1, always ask first before answering a question you are not 100% sure about. ;D