How not to fix stripped threads (officially renamed)

Hand tapping automatically goes in straight due to pilot hole.

Let’s take a look at this real quick.

Taps have thread limits when tapping a blind hole like your chief, even on a bottoming tap. So your taper from the tap doesn’t start threading till its in a ways. Couple that with a short blind hole and doing it by hand is sketchy at best, regardless of what you’ve tapped before.

Do it right or don’t do it!

I opted not to use a bottoming tap as the axle was only 12mm instead of 16mm, i didn’t see the need to dig out my lathe, the end result was the same, been hand tapping for years. If i screwed it up no harm no foul. Your acting like this is your yoyo. Take a chill pill dude. This is not a instructional thread i started. You should concentrate your energy on other things instead of criticism like starting your own forum on how to properly maintain a yoyo, i think that would be more productive and a good idea. Just sayin.

I picked up throwing after a long hiatus, my wife of 26 years is dying, slowly losing her ability to walk, talk, think and take care of herself from Huntingtons disease and messing around with yoyos i find enjoyment in and its something i can do in my home while i have to take care of her. Im sorry you dont approve of my methods but its not your approval i seek. This to me is relaxing and enjoment nothing more, call it therapy.

Looks good! But how smooth is it now? I question the preciseness of hand-tapping; but if it works, it works!

End result was not the same years decades or centuries. Every time someone puts the slacker way of doing it on these “forums” one of the kids wind up trying it with less than ideal results.

People can’t unscrew or change out a bearing here without forty million questions about it let alone hand tap the threads they just massacred.

Open invitation to failure.

I’ll give you my opinion anytime I please. Just like you can put up hand tapped pictures. Open forums baby!

And quite frankly, most of them don’t even know what a tap is, let alone even have one or have any clue where to get one, so it’s not really an issue.

Unless there’s a picture of one sticking in a yoyo halve.

Not really scooter-mcgavin’s responsibility to worry about or care about whether a kid sees this idea and thinks it’s great or not.

The proof is in the pudding: it worked. It has worked for him successfully for years, on parts requiring similar levels of precision. Hand taps are a thing. A thing that can be used.

I think the opposite end of the spectrum is equally harmful to the youth that we’re trying to “protect” here: “To do a job, you need expensive equipment, years of experience, and utmost precision.” Why scare off young people willing to experiment … even if they might fail in that experiment? Who ever got anywhere by being told they had to have everything “just so” to make an attempt at something?

I used to see this in the luthier forums. People obsess over the right way to fit a neck… the perfect way to inlay their fretboards. The tidiest way to wire their pickups… how to get a perfect mirror finish (you are a blasphemer if you dare paint a guitar with rattle cans!)… etc. And finished projects are few and far between. The majority of the finished ones are by people who weren’t too precious about it.

And every now and then a newcomer arrives and says, “Look what I built… it’s a bit rough coz I only had a screwdriver, a chisel, and some rattlecans”… and their guitar is a small piece of glory that makes the “gotta get all my ducks in a row before I even try to make a guitar!” crowd realize what they’re doing wrong.

4 Likes

You lay down with dogs you come up with fleas

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

1 Like

Playability? Just as smooth as my other chief. Could i have used my drill press and vice? Yes. Could i have used my lathe tail stock and chuck? Sure.

I will repost and re thread using the “proper meathod” for rethraeding a blind hole with a bottoming tap on my lathe re chasing my threads. So next time anyone strips out thier 20, 50, 100 dollar throw they can go out and get a $500 setup to fix it.

I stated in the beginning that i do this for my own personal pleasure, i dont offer my service, i dont sell what i fix and i never claimed to be an expert. But my methods work. In the future i should put a disclaimer in any of my posts. Haha

$500??

Does that come with a free toaster??

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make anymore here. Yes - kids will try things - I do not think he was advertising a ‘step by step’ method here at all though. He was merely sharing his experience and that it luckily came out with good results. The thread didn’t say ‘Here is how to fix your broken yo-yo’.

I agree we have to be careful about what we present as methods but nothing in this thread presents any ‘danger’ to an individual. If someone was recommending chemicals to kids to use that is one thing.

Share your experience but don’t call someone out when they weren’t actually doing anything wrong.

4 Likes

the master has spoken!

Lets put this one to rest. I wasn’t thinking about what poor outcome could have happened. I guess i lucked out but it could have ended badly, lesson learned. Too lazy to set up the Taig and it will never happen again. Never be too hasty to get something done, take your time and do it the right way. I am going to re thread it on the taig and show how it should have been done from the beginning.

I for one am an Over-Clocker. Indeed. Scooter’s thread here is not dissimilar to somebody on a Computer Hardware Forum show casing his or her Creations. (Mods) Because that is what it is about, Individual Creation.

Putting your own Artistic Talents, Skills, and Imagination into what you want to CREATE. Even at the earliest of ages, we had “Show And Tell” in the classroom.

It never ceases to amaze me, how many people can knit-pick the most piddly things. MILD things at that, and on something as remarkably insignificant as a Yo-Yo with a Stripped Axle. Something that MAY never be used again because it might not even GET FIXED without a method like this.

If the Axle is Stripped and you need high dollar, high tech redrilling equipment to restore it to full functionality in the full sense of the “The Technus Properus” methodum, what other method would you use beyond subtle Hood Rigging?

The whole argument is as asinine as “Your Hood Ain’t Hood As My Hood, Your Hood Ain’t Hood Enough!”

Back when I set out to set the Over-Clocking Record for the ATi 9700 Pro on Air, I had the assistance of one of the world’s foremost Hardware Modders. The guy worked for ATi… he was a leading designer who worked on the R350 Architecture.

People went so far as to say that he was stupid, because the modding techniques we used were that much outside of what at that time was consider “Conventional Air Cooling Modding”. We strapped a 1000+ Grams of 100% Copper Machined CPU Cooler to the die of a GPU whose primary Manufacturer’s Cooler was less than maybe 40-50 Grams of Aluminum. Then we took the stock 50mm Fan that the GPU came with fit it with Triple 120mm Delta Sonic Fans. People said the Video Card was going to flex and break and all that stuff but we got it to work and the Card STILL works today 15 years later.

So… live a little ! … So what if this method has a potential for not completely centering? Most people are completely out of proportion and uncentered themselves!

2 Likes

We are talking about a broken yo-yo right? If you think you can make it work give it a shot.

Funny that you talk about him ruining a chief when you ruin yoyos with your powdercoating all the time bob

Guy has plenty of modding experience that you can see in all the other threads and knows what he’s doing.

“Now…Skeeter…, He ain’t hurtin nobody” :smiley:

I’ve fixed dozens and dozens of stripped yo-yos just by screwing a larger size axle into the stripped threads. These are toys, fixed is fixed.

2 Likes

Seems odd, based on previous pm’s you gave me the impression that YYE Forums was all about the kids and what goes across this board. I assume that the potential for ruining a yoyo only leads to a sad face so no harm done.

A simple “kids/everyone I don’t recommend doing this by hand unless you have experience” is all that is needed.