Zirconium Yoyo

This is a fun project. Zirconium is 2x the price of titanium and heavier. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/42febec9534a3c919a8071fe49742051.jpg

While making it my hand slipped and I made my bearing pocket too wide. This caused the string to get stuck between the bearing and the bearing pocket and shredding strings.

Normally I would scrap it but this is over 180.00 in material.

So trying a new fix. :wink:

I TIG welded the pockets full if Zirconium to have a second try at getting it perfect. Hopefully I can salvage this project!

quote RayWilliamJohnson: GEEZUS

Love it

i dont want to know how much you paidā€¦ zirconium does not come cheapā€¦

Have fun with that Jon.

Let me know how the weld machines. Been curious about that.

Whereā€™d you find Zirc rod?

That is so cool

Brian the rod is from my sheet supplier. It was a drop from a larger order. I snagged 4 inches for yoyo stuff. We can get more if your interested.

Sounds like string slippage. Could always try a konkave bearing. If all else fails put an SPR in it :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure how all of these super skilled and knowledgeable knife craftsmen are ending up on YYE but iā€™m loving itā€¦ Would love to see the artistry and innovation of the custom knife world brought to yoyos. I think you guys will find some pretty big spenders around here who would be interested in your projects. Yoyos with timascus weight rings plz.

1 Like

Jon is the right guy for supplying Timascus.

Ever thought about using inconel?

^^^ Masochist ^^^

Inconel Iā€™ve looked at doing before but it doesnā€™t really offer any benefit and poses more problems than it solvesā€¦ it doesnā€™t have the ā€œcoolā€ factor to make it worth it.

I guess I shoulda ended it with a ā€œlolā€ hehe.

Zirconium is cool because it anodizes black and the black oxide is super durable.

Did somebody say Timascus? :slight_smile:

SSSHHHHHIIIIIINNNNNYYYYYYY !!!

What is this stuff? Is it like the process for making Damascus Steel, except using ti? I would kill for a knife made of that.

Itā€™s Timascus, itā€™s a layered/patterend Titanium material.

Itā€™s extremely expensiveā€¦ but very cool. Jon does a lot with it.

Kyle

Iā€™m curious, would the billet welding affect the balance of a throw? Or is it still consistent enough to not matter? It would look pretty awesome regardless.

The Titanium alloys used are close enough in weight to not matter. I make finger tops out of the material and they spin awesome!