Gradient went ape w/ Code 1 SE

Sorry you’re having trouble with your side effects. I just threw a set of Code 1 Side Effects into a Gradient and it played smooth so they should work.

Try putting the Code1 Side Effects in one more time - Once you think the yo-yo is tightened all the way give it another hard twist or two, you don’t need to worry about stripping a Side Effect yo-yo and they tend to play smoother when they’re tight. I would also avoid putting lube on the Side Effects in the future - It will prevent them from gripping/tightening as well as they should.

If that doesn’t work it could be an issue with the side effects. Do you have any other SE compatible yo-yos you can test them in to see if they are the problem? If not just give us a call or send an email and we can swap them out for you no problem!

1 Like

Thanks Garrett. I do. I just recently ordered a Code 1 and a Benchmark W yoyo from YYE Store and it should be coming in TOMORROW! So I will test it out on the Benchmark W and Code 1 when they arrive. I will also try your trick right now on tightening the yoyo more.

Tightening it as tight as it can get does not work. Here is a video I just recorded, showing it vibrating vigorously. You can tell by video that when it starts out, it’s smooth. As seconds go by, it vibrates more and more violently. Sorry for the ticking sound, something’s wrong with my camera!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WON3SDS1uQ

Also Thanks a bunch for the tightening trick. I just placed the original spike side effects back onto the Gradient and it spins a lot longer now.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I spent 178 on my Code1 and Benchmark W, so I will also be receiving 2 more free side-effects on top of the ones that are already on the yoyos. It’s in the mail truck and on the way tomorrow. I will test out different side effects once they arrive.

The only time i have seen a yoyo vibe like that was when i put sticky tack on one side… I think you have some dud side effects.

1 Like

Yeah, if it’s vibrating that bad then it’s probably just a defective set of side effects. Send us an email or call and we can work out the exchange for you.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch guys. I just sent a email out.

LOL it looked like a rolling jackhammer in the video.

1 Like

Well I got an email back, not only do YoyoExpert offer to exchange, they also asked if I wanted the same type and color! That is awesome! (Time to tune into the Lego Movie theme song, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!)

Well, I am probably going to hold replying until tomorrow because one reason, to test other side effects that will come in the mail tomorrow that comes free with my Code 1 yoyo and Benchmark W yoyo to make sure it is the brass code1 side effects that is problematic.

Then reason number two, I get to see what two additional free side effects come with my Code 1 and Benchmark W so I can choose sparingly. :wink:

I am very certain that it is the side effects because my Gradient runs smooth and plays excellent with the stock spike side effects and 10-ball bearing. Only tomorrow can show what’s truly wrong.

one drops will always play smoother with the 10 ball also. i bought a gold bearing and brass ultralights for my mmc (gold on gold on gold) but ill switch to the alum mm side effects and the stock bearing if i feel like playing a 150% smooth setup. OD 10 balls are easily top 5 best bearings on the market.

Have you tried tuning the side effects? Also what happens when you try to smooth it out with your finger?

1 Like

I’m not so sure about this, I think its 100% preference. I like my MMC better with a KK bearing in it than the flat bearing it comes with. Doesn’t affect smoothness as in vibe of the yoyo at all, just gives me the benefits that I enjoy from a Konkave bearing.

Well sadly, Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, January 22, 2015 - does not mean today after all. Mail man came by empty handed in packages. I guess they are going to hopefully deliver my Benchmark W and Code 1 yoyos tomorrow. I guess for my side effects, I am going to tell YYE to give me a random one and surprise me with one of the any side-effects they have. I missed out on the Mystery Box that was going on earlier so this is going to be my Mystery Box.

Got a reply back. They are sending me a unknown side effects as asked and sending me a envelope with postage paid. So all I have to do is put the defective side effects in the envelope and pop it in the mailbox. Boom, no problems. YYE is the best!

Ok, I just received my Code 1 yoyo and Benchmark W yoyo in the mail today, both extra free side effects are surprisingly Code 1 style. I just installed the new Code 1 side effects to my Gradient and it PLAYS SMOOTHLY! I am very happy that it ended up not being the yoyo. It is for sure the original Code 1 side effects that came free when I bought my Gradient, it is for sure defective. I am still waiting for my new side effects replacement and wonder what it will be.

At first I thought the yoyo would eventually come out as the one being faulty. I don’t get how a side effect can be made defective. Sure it’s probably more complex than I think. However a yoyo is more complicated in the making. I would imagine the yoyo itself to first be faulty over a side effect.

AGAIN, WHEW, it is the side effects problem and not the yoyo. So happy! Again, can’t wait for the replacement side effects to come.

Glad you got it all resolved. Side Effects are actually really complicated parts to make with the highest tolerances so it’s possible to have defective ones although it doesn’t happen very often.

Thanks mate. Actually I found out yesterday that it’s neither the yoyo or side effect. It’s that the brass Code 1 side effects is too heavy for the Gradient to handle. I tried putting on the brass code 1 side effect onto my new Code 1 yoyo and it plays smooth and spins longer than ever. There are two types of side effects, brass and other colors. The brass tends to be heavier than the red, blue, copper, etc. I posted the same found abouts here, Three OD and a YYF - #5 by LeDave - Yo-Yo Exhibition - YoYoExpert Forums

EDIT: Well I was looking at the yoyo specs and it appears that the Code 1 weighs less than the Gradient by 2 grams. I don’t know what is going on, but the brass Code 1 side effects appear to be incompatible with the Gradient.

^^ I knew I was right about the weight causing the vibe on the Gradient :smiley:

My brass spikes do NOT work in the Gradient either. It went ape. :wink:

I didn’t really try tuning it, though. As mentioned by another poster, you can pop out one of the SE’s, rotate it a bit, pop it back in. Do this in small increments until you hit the “sweet spot”. My gradient went from “kinda vibey” to “incredibly smooth” with this technique. More than any other SE yoyo that I’ve tried, the Gradient responds well to this kind of tuning.

1 Like

Aluminium code 1 side effects feel really good on the gradient. Nice heft with no added vibe.

We try to make Side Effects a 100% compatible system, but it’s probably not going to be possible in every case. The Gradient is a design that pushes the envelope on weight distribution and is sensitive to change. We did some testing and found the same result - brass just adds too much weight.

2 Likes