Yoyospirit's Powder Coats and Mods Thread

Here’s a couple of mods!

Got another Duncan MG! This time powder coated white, and complete with caps by John Higby! Funny story with this one. The threads on this guy stripped not too long after I got it, then I screwed up by drilling the hole for the helicoils too larger (lost the right drill bit). The result was the yoyo was left pretty much unusable. Decided this would be a good time to try using externally threaded inserts again! I ended up tapping the yoyo for a M8x1.25 sized threading for a M4x0.7 insert. After cutting the inserts down so the spacers would sit flat, I powder coated the yoyo again to hide the inserts. The project turned out perfect! Plays no different from before, and can be tuned to have no vibe. Huge bonus is the threading will never strip considering the inserts are stainless steel! Wish I got some shots of the inserts before I cut them down.

Traded for beat up Anti Yo Fluchs and a beat up Bapezilla. Kinda over traded haha, had a lapse in judgement and traded a Draupnir for both haha. I couldn’t really do anything with the Bape. The Fluchs however, looks fine enough to work on. Had a lot of vibe, which can be attributed to the bearing seat (or lack of). First I cut down a Buzzon SPR and cut the yoyo to accept it, then I tapped the hole to 1/4-32 to accept an externally threaded insert so the axle size would be 8-32, perfect fit for the spacers. Cut those down, and cut a silicone recess as well. Finally, stripped the worn anodize and getting ready to powder coat.

Here are the inserts I used. To put the size of the external threading of these in perspective, Anti Yo used 1/4-20 sized threading for their yoyos such as the Eetsit, Bape, Fluchs, and Business. Both of the external threading I used on these two yoyos were larger.

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BodvvaTQL.jpg

9 Likes

Really impressive work, Wesley!

Thank you! Will you be at MA states?

I wish I could, but I’m out in California for a couple weeks. Hope it’s a blast!

First up, rim repair and polish on a One Drop Sovereign, man, titaniums are tough to polish haha.

Polished YYR Laser

Sili-recessed Duncan Vendetta, actually plays well now!

Cold Fusion GT with the hub from a YYF DNA

Polished Dert

Born Crucial SPR’d Freehand Zeros

Rim chopped YYJ Diamond Back

Small Bearing Anti Yo YWET

White CLYW Puffin

Matte Purple Independent

Translucent Blue Anti Yo YWET

Translucent Purple Duncan Freehand MG

Levi inspired CLYWxOneDrop Summit

Schmooved and powder coated Yoyojam Trinity

Powder coated DBYY EKG

Powder coated YYF MVP

Powder coated YYF Too Hot

10 Likes

Beautiful work! I loved looking through this thread!

1 Like

we had the same idea, I opted for the teflon but I still find that the yoyo with such a smooth axis (and those in aluminum or brass I think are the same if not worse) loses in game quality, it has a not always predictable return, precise and effective … the wooden axes wear the strings, this is true, but they are the only ones that allow perfect playability

1 Like

image image image image image image

19 Likes

I’ve fixed up all the images in this topic, they are awesome!

you can see where someone got his avatar from :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I may need to get a moose poweder coated white

1 Like

Wow.

I hadn’t seen this thread until just now, and I must say it’s my favorite one thus far

I saw the polishing TEK earlier tonight and thought it was super cool, I’ll definitely be giving it a shot soon.

But then I stumbled upon this thread and drooled over these beauties even more than I normally do while browsing throws.

I kept thinking okay this has to be the last one. Nope. Okay THIS one is my favorite, for sure. Nope.

Great work dude, youve got these applications dialed in perfectly. Now I gotta polish one of my less favorite throws. Hoping I can get the hang well enough after screwing up only one or two that I’ll be comfortablr polishing one of my favorites.

Once again, lovely work. Take pride in this skill, it’s great

4 Likes

Oh man, a screw with a wire hook wrapped around it. Exactly how I used to set mine up.

That brings back memories of multicolored booger’s. Good stuff.

3 Likes

Haha, did you not wear a dusk mask?

No, I absolutely did. But between having a beard and powder being powder, wasn’t able to block it all.

1 Like

Just wondering… is this Ywet of your works. Picked it up on the FB BST from a guy saying it was one of the recess ones but recess said it’s not from them.

9 Likes

Yea it is haha, it’s not the recess color way, I just had some extra halves left

7 Likes

Sweet I’ve trying to get some more info on it. Definitely my most beautiful throw. I honestly prefer this one over the recess powdercoat!

1 Like

Heck yeah! Disskings!

2 Likes

Looking through this Was Awesome, the Work was Amazing!

2 Likes

Dang it’s been a while since I’ve updated this!
Hubstacked Restos

15 Likes