Shadows in the Night: a YoyoFactory Superstar Review

A YoyoFactory Pulsar Superstar Review

Please comment and tell me what you think! :slight_smile:

Introduction:
I had always wanted to try this yoyo out. People all over have said that it was a rock-stable throw, and performed amazingly. I also heard that this yoyo had won many competitions, and was a favorite of team YoyoFactory. This was also my first high-end yoyo, so I had a lot of expectations for it. Let’s see if it met these, or disappointed me.

Stats:

Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 45.50 mm / 1.79 inches
Gap Width: 4.80 mm / .18 inches
Weight: 67.4 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187)
CBC Center Trac Bearing
Response: CBC 19mm Slim Pad

Look and feel:

This is a large yoyo. As you can see from the stats, it has big measurements, but just the way it’s shaped gives it a large presence. The large amount of rim weight gives it a very nice looking shape. On each side, there is a ridge (the rim weight). Inside of the ridge, the shape goes into a nice, low-walled,
v-shape. The cup is flat inside, so it is possible to fingerspin, but for some reason I find it hard to do this. (I can can fingerspin much better with a shutter)
The is a lip, so thumb grinding does work quite well. Speaking of grinding, this thing is a AMAZING for finger grinds! I am not sure what finish it uses (I don’t think that it’s bead blasted) but whatever it is, it causes minimal friction. I can grind on my finger way over twice as long as my Cypher or my Shutter. The finish also looks great as well. The aqua and purple acid looks super cool. The white Pulsar string on top of this great combination colors makes this yoyo by far, the best yoyo to look at that I have ever thrown.
So, great job on the look and feel YoyoFactory!

Response and Bearing:
The response is the usual YoyoFactory 19mm slim pad. The don’t work as well as other pads (like one drop ones) but they are not terrible. The give the yoyo fairly snappy binds, and in combination with the Blueprint strings that I use, are great for whip-binds. However, they do not work as well with thin strings. they just don’t grab the string as well as with my Blueprint ones. But they are still good pads. Not exceptional, but not bad at all.
The bearing, on the other hand, is amazing! It is a CBC Center Trac. I am very used to the usual SPEC bearing that YoyoFactory uses, so this is amazing to me. For one, just the concave shape is awesome. As you know, it keeps the string away from the sides of the yoyo, so it keeps it spinning much, much longer. Also, it is really quiet. I have seen many people say that it is very noisy, but I have not had this problem. I am really glad that YoyoFactory put this in there, rather that their SPEC bearing.
All in all, the superstar has nice response pads, and an amazing bearing.

How it Plays:
In short, awesome. It is sooo stable. The rim weight gives it great stability and loooong spin times. It is just the perfect weight, in my opinion. It is fairly heavy, for good spin times, but I can make it go as fast as I like it to. It also nice, that because of the good stability, it will not tilt and die in the middle of a speed combo. Another thing. Because of the low walls and rim weight, it is good for horizontal (I have started learning since my last review :slight_smile: ). I can pull off long long horizontal combos with this, and it works out great.
Also, smooth. Just smooth. No vibe whatsoever. Amazing. Smooooooooooooooooth.

Conclusion:
This is one great yoyo. It looks amazing, grinds amazing, and plays amazing. I have had so much fun with it, and when I start competing, I would not be surprised if it was my weapon of choice.
So, all in all, it is just a great yoyo. I would highly recommend getting it, and hope to get more in the future!

Good review! Mine’s buttery smooth aswell!

do you prefer this or shutter?

I prefer the Superstar over the Shutter… And the Shu-ta and the Superstar equally :slight_smile:

I definitely prefer this. My shutter actually has a good amount of vibe.